Smoking Brats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian L.

TVWBB Super Fan
I smoked some home made brats tonight for dinner. They were Jalepeno Brats that I made and stuffed in natural hog casing. I fired up the WSM and smoked over Pecan and Oak for about 2 hours, then finished on the grill, man those things were good!

How do you make your own brats? I recently picked up the meat grinder and sausage stuffing attachment for my kitchenaid stand mixer, but haven't even opened it yet.

Sounds exciting, tho! Can't wait to try my own kielbasa.

Jalapeno Brats sound really good! Susan you should make some with your new grinder and have a party!! Just send directions!

Susan,
Not sure if you saw my post about the salmon. But even with 3 very small pieces of hickory it turned out awesome! Unbelievable! I am going out sometime this week to search for apple/pear and peach wood. Some friends of mine have the trees and until you mentioned it, I never thought about it!

Heck, I wouldn't have thought about it if Keri hadn't mentioned how you look at storms differently once you start smoking. What used to be regretable damage turns out to be an opportunity to poach some great wood!

Yes, I did see your salmon post. Glad it worked out with the wee hickory. I bet that wild salmon was fantastic (tho I'm not a huge salmon fan).

I really have to get a sausage maker...Any opinions on the kitchen aid attachment. Im not going into business or anything...just recreational, so you know only about 20 pounds at a time.
icon_razz.gif

I have a KitchenAid proffessional 5. I use the grinder and stuffer attachment. It is plenty for grinding even up to 20 lbs. of meat. I have made all sorts of sausage and home-made burger, ground meat coarse for chili, etc. Stuffing can be done by yourself but it is easier with help. If yall want the recipe for Jalepeno Brats I will post it in the pork recipe section. They are awesome, smoked or boiled in beer and grilled.

Brian, if you haven't already posted it, please do! That would be great.

Also...where do you get casings, extra pork fat (if needed), etc?

Remember that a pork butt has just about the right amount of fat for sausage-making, and that the folks in the meat market at your supermarket are happy to grind it to any coarseness you want. I just call my meat-market guys about 24 hours ahead of time and tell them that I need about 5 lbs, 10 lbs, or whatever, of pork boston butt, run through the coarse chili-grind plate twice. I don't make large amounts of sausage, so this has suited my purposes just fine. Not to mention the fact that, when I bring samples back to the market, I get on their good side. That helps as far as getting further hints from the experienced sausage-makers that work there, as well as finding out about upcoming in-store specials before the rest of world knows about them.
icon_smile.gif

For some of the most outstanding sausage recipes and lessons on the web, google on the name "Len Poli". He's a recognized sausage-master and has some excellent brat recipes.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I agree with Keri - get your local butcher to do the grinding for you (as long as you plan ahead). I've ground my own a couple of times and it is by far the least fun part of the process.

You can get by without a stuffer if you're willing to make patties. I've also seen descriptions on using plastic wrap instead of traditional casings. Remove the plastic just before cooking and the sausage tends to hold together through the combined forces of coagulation and fat adhesion.
icon_wink.gif

That's how I've been doing my attempts at home-made sausage - using 5 lb of meat and whatever seasoning, etc, I decide to do, I let the mixed sausage sit in a ziplock in the fridge for at least a day or two. I'll then divide it into four or five pieces, then lay in a long piece of Saran Wrap (ORIGINAL, NOT Saran Plus) and roll each into a log about 3 inches in diameter and a foot or so in length, tightening it up as I go. When ready to cook, I lay the Saran-wrapped sausage log in the smoker at about 250 for 30 minutes, leaving the Saran Wrap on (the Original won't melt at these temps.) After 30 minutes I remove the Saran, insert a thermo probe into the log, and let it finish smoking to about 160 internal temp. A quick glaze with a favorite sauce provides a nice touch, and then just slice and enjoy. I'm not quite up to trying stuffing the little devils yet.
icon_rolleyes.gif

You'll see quite a few competitors turning in sausage cooked like this when a competition has a sausage category.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

"I don't know nothing about stuffing no sausage.", play on words from Prissy in Gone With the Wind.

What I do know is, Susan is a "shop-aholic".
icon_eek.gif
Not that there's any thing really wrong with that. I just want to be invited to the garage sales.
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe she can serve some sausage at the next one. I'd plan a vacation around it.

Kerry,

I read your post on the sausage preparation. Do you have any pictures that you are able to post?

Saran Wrap Original - is that readily available in most stores?

Thanks

AR

there is a very good book by Rytek Kutas called Great Sausage REcipies and meat curing that I would highly recommend for anyone getting into this as it gives a good deal of information on this.

I love the sausage making attachment on my kitchenaid and usually grind my own. I also to trya nd keep things cool and prevent bacteria growth refirgerate the attachment already assembled before use.

Ho made sausages are good but my best luck smoking them has to shape them like a sausage but smoke them out of a casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back