Smoking and/or grilling fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

John L

TVWBB Super Fan
I posted this in the Weber Kettle forum, but there's not much action there, and this isn't necessarily specific to the Kettle anyway (since I may do some indirect Kettle cooking or on the WSM back home). Any experience here with smoking/grilling fish? Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm going on a group fishing trip to Canada in June, and I'll be packing along the trusty kettle.

Does anyone have any experience cooking fish on the kettle, and if so, what do you recommend? Direct, indirect, a mix of both (I'll be there 4 days)? The menu should include walleye, and possibly pike, trout and muskie.

http://tno.on.ca/

I've purchased some cedar planks for doing some offset, and I bought a couple of non-stick cake cooling racks for direct grilling (read that in a "Seafood for Dummies" book).

Any ideas, recipes, tips? I have no experience with seafood on the kettle. Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was smoking some ribs with charcoal/hickory and about an hour in, I realized I had some salmon (filet, not whole), abut 6 inches square, 1 - 1 -1/4 inch thick) in the fridge. I did a simple rub with salt, brown sugar and onion powder, let it sit for 30 minutes, rinsed and put them in with the ribs. I can't remember when I took them out, but the were nicely "bronzed" and felt nice to the touch, probably 90 minutes or so. I flaked off some and was very surprised how good it tasted, especially since I had no idea what I was doing. This was in the WSM, so I guess that could be considered indirect. Tempature was fairly constant @ 225 for the duration.

Hope that helps!

I cook salmon indirect but at time at higher temps. Salmon can be cooked in 15 mins to hours depending on pit temp.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back