Smoking a Butt and Brisket...Want it finshed by Noon...When to Start?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi all,

First I want to say thanks to all that have contributed to this forum and site. It has helped get up to speed on BBQing.

Tonight I will be smoking a Brisket on bottom and a Butt on top. I would like to be done by lunch tomorrow. This includes the resting period...so off the smoker by around 10am. My question is, assuming a Qing temp of around 225 to 250, what time should I start smoking tonight to come close to my target eating time of noon? Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't want my guest to have to wait until 5 to eat because I didn't time it correctly.

Thanks,
Ron

I was just coming back to edit my post to say how much they weigh realizing I had forgotten that important bit of advice, and you already replied...man you are quick....
icon_smile.gif

The brisket is 12lbs and the butt is 9lbs. This is all untrimmed weight.

Thanks,
Ron

Personally I'd allow 18 hours for the 9 lb. butt to cook. You better get started :-)

My rough guide so far as been spot on for pork at 2 hours per pound. My brisket results have varied, with the average being around 1 1/3 hour per pound.

That's my $0.02

But as they say - the meat is done when it SAYS it is done
icon_wink.gif

If that butt isn't on yet I would be getting it on there soon. It will definately hold longer than 2 hours if needed. On average butts take me 16 hours. That brisket should take around 13 hours. I would get it on around 8 or 9. It will hold longer than 2 hours if necessecary. It is a lot easier to keep it warm in an oven if necessecary than to speed it up. I usually keep my lid temp around 250. I know others say that is too high but it works for me.

Thanks everyone,

I got the butt on at 5:30 and the brisket on at 7:30. My lid temp is holding steady at 240ish. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ron

Back