SMOKING A BONELESS TURKEY BREAST

Bob K

HELLO TO ALL--AM NEW HERE AND AM GOING TO TRY MY HAND AT SMOKING TURKEY BREAST'S THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TIME AT SMOKING ANYTHING AND WANT TO DO IT THE SAFEST WAY--QUESTION I HAVE IS WHAT INTERNAL TEMP SHOULD I TAKE OUT OF SMOKER? I WILL BE USING CHERRY AS SMOKE SOURCE AND USING BOURBON,BUTTER,AND OREGANO INJECTED TO KEEP MOIST
HAVE BEEN READING ALL THE TIPS ON HERE AND AM LEARNING LOTS FOR THE FUTURE

160 degrees plus 5 degrees is 165.

We hear you.

All capitols can be interpreted as SHOUTING
icon_eek.gif
. Go easy on the CAPS LOCK.

Hi bob - welcome to the board! I think cherry trees were made expressly for smoking poultry, so you've chosen a great wood. Like Russel said, take it to 165-ish.

One question, are you planning on smoking at a high or low temperature? For poultry, folks are split on which method - just comes down to preference.

If you are doing it hot - like 350-ish, take it off at around or just barely over 160. The meat temp will raise up another few degrees as it rests.

If you are smoking low and slow - like 225-250-ish, take it off right at 165. The temp of the meat won't raise much if any, since the temp of the smoker was much lower.

Some folks like their turkey a bit less done - like never getting above 160... for me, I like the 165 as a final temp. Though, I usually brine, which ensures a bit more moisture at 165.

anyhow, overall, beware. Smoking is a very, very addictive habit!
icon_smile.gif

Hi Adam

Thanks for the warm welcome---i am going to go low-i have been reading up and decided i want to smoke everything--wife bought smoker for christmas and have been itching to try it out---no scarity of wood as a neighbor works for the tree unit in my town and drops truckloads of wood in the driveway for firewood--cherry-oak-hickory --apple--more than i can use---
another question---what is an average time for smoking a 5-6 lb turkey breast--any help would be greatly appreciated
icon_smile.gif

Welcome Bob, If you click on this link and scroll down to poultry there is a boneless breast and a bone in breast cook that Chris did. Not sure if you saw this section but it's a great place to start.
icon_smile.gif

A big thank you to Russell,Adam and Bryan--the turkey came out awesome--brought some to work this a.m. and my co-workers devoured it for breakfast!!!!---told me it was best turkey they ever tasted---the wife if out shopping for picnic and brisket as i write this---coult not have dome it without help from you guys and the rest of the posters on this board----again a big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Bob,

Sounds like you had a good first cook. Something about smoking makes most any meat better than any other way of cooking. Keep up the good work and let us know what is next. Chicken thighs are probably my favorite and one of the easier cooks to master. (just done some yesterday) As you cook more you will find out how much fun this is. Good luck and good eats!!!

Back