Smokin Salmon

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking foward to the 3 day week end. I would like to try and smoke some salmon on the wsm. Did it once on the ECB. Turned out OK, but not the best. I'am am in Florida (ya, the weather is going to be great this week end.) And have a hard time finding real Alaskan Salmon. Can only find this farm raised, color added, lazy city fish. How do I prep it? Should I put it right on the grill, or on foil? What kind of wood, how long, & what temp should I cook it at? Does any one have any advise? As usual, I am in no rush. Is low & slow OK?

I usually brine salmon. Sometimes I salt-cure. You can go with a higher heat or a lower. This method is the preferred one around my place these days--it's on the plan for this weekend as well. Take a look at the recipes posted at the Cooking tab above (and do a search for more ideas).

I can often get frozen or previously frozen wild salmon here in the country. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it the city or suburbs if that's where you are.

I heartily endorse Kevin's salmon recipe. I did it once a month or so ago, and am going to do it again this afternoon.

Really simple, doesn't take all day, and the final result is great. Looks better than those six dollar one inch strips of smoked salmon you see in the store.

Salmon

Tmfast-
The link above is for some brown sugar rubed salmon I did. The recipie is located under cooking topics on this site. Everyone I served it to absolutly loved it.

tmfast,

I used the recipes listed above and liked them. I did both the faster cook and a slower longer appatizer cook and really liked both. The one thing I didn't like was how my WSM smelled after the cook. I had to scrub and spray out the inside before I could cook anything else. Just a heads up.

Josh

Back