smokin' in your kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard L

I have always been a lurker on this forum, never posting or asking questions because everyone does such a great job of explaining things and offering advice that I have never had to post questions. I have learnt so much from all of you. My family and I have enjoyed some great food from the efforts that those on this forum have put forth.

From the Boston butts grilled low and slow for pulled pork, to the hamburgers and steaks and the grilled/fried chicken, the beer can chicken, the turkeys, the pork chops, the vegetables, the sauces and rubs; the advice I have received here has always been top notch and I have enjoyed every minute of the preparation and especially the consumption of these great dishes.

Now to the meat of the message because I am sure you all have a great deal which you can add. I have grilled quite a few turkeys on my Weber 22 ½ charcoal grills and they have all turned out great and all who have partaken of them have agreed. But I have always wanted to grill a turkey sitting on a rack with the rack sitting in a roasting pan containing broth from which to baste the turkey. The problem with this idea is that when the roasting pan is set on the cooking grate with the turkey that the grill lid will no longer fit on the grill.

That is until now with Brad L.’s stainless steel From Brad’s drawing, I had a plate made for each grill and could not be more satisfied with the enhancements which they added. I can now remove the cooking grate and place the roasting pan with the turkey directly on the stainless steel plate thereby allowing the lid to be placed properly on the grill. In cooking the turkey shown, I used this recipe and out of all turkeys that I have cooked, I think this was the best. It was so succulent and so sweet. The skin was sweet and crisp. I will most definitely cook another. BTW, the finished bird

I now see other possibilities for Brad L.’s plates and look forward to hearing you all’s thoughts and ideas.

Rich

That insert looks great and i bet it turns the kettle to an even better smoker.

Jim Lampe have made one of those insert´s looks just like yours.

Bird looks Super!

Thx for sharing

yes, very much like this post.
smiley-confused002.gif

Hey folks, I screwed my original post up. I take no credit for the idea behind the creation of the stainless steel plate. I took Brad L.'s drawing to a welding shop and asked to have one built to the specifications of his drawing. Brad L.'s spec sheet can be found here.
I was so pleased with the performance of the plate that I had a second built for emergency purposes. I believe the plate will open up a great deal of possibilities and look forward to trying it with other dishes.

Thanks to all for your replies and look forward to your suggestions.

Richard L.

I was thinking about making one, but I was going to use the charcoal grate as a template to lay on the SS.

I told my wife I was going to cook a couple of beer can chickens this week after this weather clears. Shouldn't have any problems sitting them on a beer can which is sits directly on the stainless steel plate.

Richard L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back