Smokey Joe Platinum CL find or New Jumbo Joe?

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Everyone, I picked up this SJ Platinum on Craigslist for 25.00 back in December, it's in great condition and has a DH serial number.Needs a good cleaning but other than that its okay. I've been reading the comments about the air flow problem the Platinum has, would I be better off buying the new Jumbo Joe or sticking with this one? Thanks for your help.

depends on what you want to cook. but i think you will be more than happy with the platinum. look, try it a few times. if you don't like it you can still sell it for more than what you paid for it.

I got 2 SJP's from an Ace Hardware closeout a few years ago for $20 each. Stock cooking can be a challenge due to airflow IMO, but with enough fuel they will get to 500 eventually. The other thing that bugs me about it, is that a standard 18.5 cook grate is too small to fit correctly. I had to install 1 inch long SS bolts to use a standard grate. However, I bought a WSM stacker and used some parts from a Brinkmann for one of them and converted it to a mini WSM smoker, and it works great for that purpose. If you want portable charcoal grilling, I think the Jumbo would have slightly better performance and features. The SJP isn't a terrible grill, just needs some mods to fully reach it's potential.

Back