Smokey Joe Grills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric V.

So where I live, there are no Smokey Joes in stores to see nor is there anyone local I know of with one. I want one for taking on holidays but I really want to know if the build quality is the same as the full size kettles or is it more comparable to the other cheaper brands like Char-Broil, Uni-Flame or Master Chef? I find the thin metal used on the other brands listed as a definite turn off. If the SJ is as thick as my OST, I would buy one in a heartbeat! I would have to order the SJ online. Thanks.

Eric first off welcome to the fourm, Now those little Smokey Joe's can do some mighty fine grilling/bbqing for sure.

Eric if you're going to do some small cooks (1 or 2 people) def pic one up. You can really make some great high heat steaks and fast. Plus, you're forced to only use a small amount of coals because it only fits so much. Sometimes it's hard to judge how many you should use for small cooks on a regular kettle. Pick it up from amazon.

Eric - the SJ's are a big cut above the knock-offs. I've picked up several from ebay (but watch the shipping charges) or you can order (through this website) from Amazon. You don't need much charcoal to get these kiddo's cookin'.

Search the portable grills forum for some helpful hits and tips for fire control as well as an awesome mod using a 32 qt tamale pot that yield you a mini-WSM smoker that is a blast to make and cook on.

Pat

I picked up a almost new one at a garage sale for
$3.00 !!
Keep checking Craig's list--see them quite a bit
listed as "small grill" in the title.
Guy

I've got an SJ and a Go Anywhere, and the build quality of both is excellent. I prefer grilling on the Go Anywhere though, plus I really like it's portable design.

-Mark.

I have a Smokey Joe gold. It's an excellent grill for lid off direct heat grilling or for using as a smoker with the tamale pot set up mentioned by Pat. It's also very portable. It's NOT great for lid on direct cooking because they fire dies down when you put the lid on. Ironically, it still stays plenty hot on the other side for indirect cooking.

I really like this grill and if I had to start over and had a limited budget, this would be the only grill I would get.

Brian-
I've been watching CL locally for a smokey Joe- missed a couple so far. What is the main difference between silver and gold?

The gold is more portable w/ a lid holder/locker; it'll hold hot coals and ashes better. The silver has an ash plate underneath just under the vent. The ashes in the gold will gather under the charcoal grate. The gold's vents are on the side. Quality-wise, there's no worries here.

Take a close look at the amazon search link

I too like the gold better, and will even do long (2-6hr) smokes of 2-4# chunks of meat. One can even make one into a mini-WSM; check out the top thread in the "portable grill" forum.

For some reason I like the Gold better than the Gas Go-Anywhere; not sure I know the reason why.

Paul, thanks. I saw that conversion to a mini smoker interesting to see all the ways people modify their grills and smokers, pretty creative bunch.
I'm going to probably get what I get for a smokey Joe off CL, silver or gold it will be great for small portion cooking or to use next to the 26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Massaro:
Brian-
I've been watching CL locally for a smokey Joe- missed a couple so far. What is the main difference between silver and gold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both are same size

Gold - side vents, no ash catcher, lid lock.
Silver - traditional bottom vents, hence the need for the ash catcher.

I prefer the Gold. Since you can lock the lid, dump the coals after a tailgate and not worrying about it opening up while driving back home.

I bought my son the SJ gold and he just loves it. I'm very impressed with the quality of it. Not surprised; it's a Weber after all.
It's a handy little unit and great for travelling, etc. I'd snap one up without hesitation if you're considering it.

Trev I got my 4 year old a SJG for his b-day he loves it not as much as me though. He claims the ribs from SJG-mini (he calls it a little bubba keg. All smokers are bubba kegs to him) are the best ribs.

Derek, it's good to start 'em young, eh! My son learned quite a bit on my grills over the years, so I bought him a SJG when he was ~20. Now he's moved out to BC for a masters degree and wants to use it for smoking salmon, etc. It's fun to watch the development when our kids get the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back