Smoke'n Sear Roastbeef

Jonas-Switzerland

TVWBB Member
A while ago I smoked a lean cut of beef. I did not have my WSM yet, so I smoked on the cheap chinese smoker and gave it a final sear on the gasser.

I wanted to smoke at 225F, bit it decided to do 300F. Oh well. When it reached my favorite core temp, the surface had developed a 'mini-bark'. It was very dry. I could not get a good sear going. I just burned the rub.

The smoked beef was so good despite the bad sear that I bought my WSM soon after. This weekend I wanna do a similar cook, and I am thinking about how I could get a good sear.

I don’t have time to try a sear over charcoal. I'm gonna use the gasser again. Do ai need to oil up the meat after smoke but before the sear?

A while ago I smoked a lean cut of beef. I did not have my WSM yet, so I smoked on the cheap chinese smoker and gave it a final sear on the gasser.

I wanted to smoke at 225F, bit it decided to do 300F. Oh well. When it reached my favorite core temp, the surface had developed a 'mini-bark'. It was very dry. I could not get a good sear going. I just burned the rub.

The smoked beef was so good despite the bad sear that I bought my WSM soon after. This weekend I wanna do a similar cook, and I am thinking about how I could get a good sear.

I don’t have time to try a sear over charcoal. I'm gonna use the gasser again. Do ai need to oil up the meat after smoke but before the sear?
I agree with Darryl. If you really wanted the sear you could remove the barrel of the wsm, lay the grates across the top of the ring, and sear fast. Depends how many coals you still have.

August first is approaching. Any plans? Brisket? Rosti?
Not gonna be home. I stay in a hotel in the mountains though. Maybe we do a Raclette. Its more of a winter thing but we had a bad summer so far.

That's why I wanna do a roastbeef. We smoke it, cut it up, and enjoy our sandwiches the next day.

You could bard it or wrap with bacon.

:LOL: Bacon is always an answer. To what question? Doesn't matter...

I agree with Darryl. If you really wanted the sear you could remove the barrel of the wsm, lay the grates across the top of the ring, and sear fast. Depends how many coals you still have.

I fear this would be the best course of action. Like I said, I probably won't have the time though. The sear on the gasser was inconsequential I may as well just skip it.

I found a recipe which sears the beef in a pan afterwards. Also possible, but I probably would not use butter. https://girlcarnivore.com/ultimate-smoked-roast-beef/

I'd say skip the sear --- just smoke it in the WSM with water @225 and let the bark form.
I'm assuming you will be taking to ~140 or so internal? If you think it needs a sear at that point - pull it a bit before that temp --- let it rest to drop the IT 20 or more degrees and then give it a good hot sear on a gasser or oven or pan. Would also help if you brushed it with tallow or butter before hand (for the sear).

Last edited:
Butter contains milk solids that will blacken and char.
It is also a better choice fat.
I would use butter........I would sear it in the pan with the fan running and a window open.

Last edited:

Back