Smokefire Lid Handle

Joseph K

TVWBB Member
Has anyone tried replacing Smokefire lid handle? My EX4 does get really hot on the handle (actually, generally all over the front of the grill) and the other day, when I was grilling at 575F, I literally burned my hand. I wished I had a lid handle from stealth EPX4. But, when I checked with Weber, in US, that is not an option. Has anyone done mod on the lid handle (not to reposition due to limited access to the front shelf but to prevent it from getting too hot)? And please, I do have a pair of grilling gloves. I do and usually am good at remembering but sometimes, I tend to forget. I got burned a couple of times and I am seeking for a solution. I tried installing a third party spring handle on each end of where the original handle screwed on but they were just too flimsy. Perhaps, I am not doing it right. And does anyone know what other grill's lid handle would fit EX4? When I measured, the lid handle's center to center length was 18 and 1/8 inches. I wonder if any of Genesis Lid Handle would fit. Thanks in advance for your input.

Some EX4/EX6 grills have that problem. My EX6 does but many people don't. I have read suggestions to get insulating washers and insert them between the lid and the handle. I don't remember reading that it solved the problem but it's a cheap experiment. Sorry I'm not more help but I just don't have a solid factual answer.

Because Weber addressed the problem on the Stealth with a Silicone sleeve, that hints at heat being transmitted to the handle at the attachment points and not radiant heat from the cook chamber. Good luck and please let us know if you solve the problem.

Last edited:
Some EX4/EX6 grills have that problem. My EX6 dos but many people don't. I have read suggestions to get insulating washers and insert them between the lid and the handle. I don't remember reading that it solved the problem but it's a cheap experiment. Sorry I'm not more help but I just don't have a solid factual answer.

Because Weber addressed the problem on the Stealth with a Silicone sleeve, that hints at heat being transmitted to the handle at the attachment points and not radiant heat from the cook chamber. Good luck and please let us know if you solve the problem.
Of course, Lew. And always, thank you very much for your posts. Have a tremendous amount of respect for what you are doing in this forum and facebook.

Of course, Lew. And always, thank you very much for your posts. Have a tremendous amount of respect for what you are doing in this forum and facebook.
Just a thought, if it's a known issue, why not call Weber and advise them you've burned your hands a few times and see if they'll send you an update or fix. Product Liability lawyers make a living on people getting burned. I'm sure Weber seeks to have the safest products in their customers' hands, no pun intended.

Just a thought, if it's a known issue, why not call Weber and advise them you've burned your hands a few times and see if they'll send you an update or fix. Product Liability lawyers make a living on people getting burned. I'm sure Weber seeks to have the safest products in their customers' hands, no pun intended.
Perhaps, but I did reach out to Weber. Discussed on the EPX4 handle and he said it won't fit and on top of that, that was not for sale in US (I was willing to buy). The vibes I was getting was to wear gloves or use towels when hot temperature grilling. Basically, Weber did not have a solution for me.

I don't know if the handle can be assembled without the nylon spacers but is it possible they were not mounted on some units, and could that affect the handle temp? I don't recall that I've done a 500f+ cook but yesterday I was running at ~375f and the handle temp was lower than my body temp (though the edge at the wraparound was a little higher than my body temp). But I realize 375f is far below 575f, too.

1669386387843.png

1669386437970.png

I don't know if the handle can be assembled without the nylon spacers but is it possible they were not mounted on some units, and could that affect the handle temp? I don't recall that I've done a 500f+ cook but yesterday I was running at ~375f and the handle temp was lower than my body temp (though the edge at the wraparound was a little higher than my body temp). But I realize 375f is far below 575f, too.

View attachment 63249

View attachment 63250
Good point! I don’t recall the handle getting hot, I could be wrong though. O

Back