Smoked Turkey

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
Getting ready to smoke another turkey this weekend. Just looking for some advise, and maybe clear up some confusion. My 1st was on a EBC, got me hooked, and bought a WSM soon after. The WSM manual says it will take about 7-8 hrs. The cooking section of this site says 3-4hrs. I am in no hurry. I would like do one that has that moist, very pink, and smokie flavor like my 1st. I will start brining around midnight tonight to cook on Satureday morning.
What are the best woods?

Take anything the WSM manual says with a grain of salt. Fruitwoods are nice on turkey. Don't overdo the smokewood on poultry-- use less than you would for beef or pork. Cook using high heat-- dry pan and two fully lit Weber chimneys of briquets should get you in the 300-350° range. You might have to prop the door open a hair to hit that range. The brining will preserve moisture. Cook to 165° in the white meat (175 in the dark)-- pull a few degrees early and residual heat will take you on up to the the target during the rest before carving. No reason whatsoever to do turkey low & slow-- we're not looking to render internal fat or break down connective tissue.

Doug,
Thank you for your reply. I gotta tell ya, The best turkey I ever did was the very 1st on a EBC with no mods. Not sure of the temps with that wimpy gage. smoked it in about 8 hours. The best. moist, pink, and smokie. The ones I've done on the WSM were done pretty fast. OK, but not as pink & smokie. I will experiment with lower temps, but not too low. Turkey has been brining since last night. Costs $14 for a kosher 10 pounder. No big deal I wreck it.

Hi,

During the Koshering process,tukeys are salted. Sooooo you might have a very salty turkey and it might have a slightly "hammy" texture.

Let us know how it turns out.

Al

I use a combo of apple and cherry wood. The cherry seems to give the bird a nice color. I stay away from hickory or you will get a hammy taste.

Depending on how much salt you have in your brine, and how long you leave it in, will give you a salty taste. Search this site for some good turkey brines.

Well I guess I don't know anything about koshering. I just though it was a plain ole turkey. It was all I could find. I will see how it turns out.
Thanks for the update.

Back