Smoked Turkey Breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
The boss wants to smoke 2 or 3 small turkey breasts on the WSM. In the past we cooked them two at the time on our el-cheap-o smokers and they were not bad, so I know they should be better on the WSM.

We don't want to brine them this time, just smoke 'em. Can anyone suggest how much charcoal, cooking temps., and when to take them off so they are moist. I have, in the past, used water in the pan. Any input is appreciated.

Tom - Seminole at Lake Seminole

this may not help much Tom but I will tell you the mistakes I made on my first turkey breast cook this weekend.

I fired up with the traditional method (2 chimneys of kingsford) with a dry, foiled pan..my temps were from 350 to 300 and the breats cooked for 4 hours (WAY to long at these temps imo)

I bought 2 whole breasts with skin on, and removed the skin and cut them into individual breasts like the pics Chris has.

Used Lowreys seasoning as a simple rub (too salty)..the ones I cooked were edible but just barely..very tough and dry..am looking for some pointers myself/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif gl.

Cooking at 325-350* with a dry pan is the way to go. Two Weber chimneys full of fully-lit briquets should be plenty.

And yes, at that temp, 4 hours will be way too long. The secret to turkey-- or any poultry for that matter-- brined or not, is to use a digital probe thermometer to tell you when then breast meat hits 160*. Remove it, and wrap it in foil to rest at least 15-20 minutes before carving.

Another secret lies in the carving itself. Use an electric knife and, following along the breast bone, cut the entire side of the breast off in one big hunk. Then slice across the grain into 1/4" - 1/2" thick medallions.

Doug,

Why do you recommend carving the breast that way? Is because it is more tender to eat, easier to carve, or both?

Thanks,

I am also doing a bone in turkey breast this weekend. I am apple and brown sugar brining. I plan on using the dry pan method and expect it to be done prior to 4 hrs. Since this is my first attempt at turkey and brining one, do I rinse off my brine prior to putting on the WSM OR NOT. I have seen conflicting suggestions on this. I understand that the dry pan will cook hotter and faster and could burn the sugar, but if I put it on the top grill and cook at shorter time, do I need to worry about this. Thanks for any help.
Lane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred S:
[qb] Doug,

Why do you recommend carving the breast that way? Is because it is more tender to eat, easier to carve, or both?

Thanks, [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. (I had a longer answer, but...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lane Armstrong:
[qb]do I rinse off my brine prior to putting on the WSM OR NOT. I have seen conflicting suggestions on this. I understand that the dry pan will cook hotter and faster and could burn the sugar, but if I put it on the top grill and cook at shorter time, do I need to worry about this. Thanks for any help.
Lane [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A simple rinse, inside and out, should suffice. I think the burning sugar issue you are concerned about is more applicable to sugar-containing finishing sauces on ribs and the like. I don't think you'll have a problem as relates to brining.

There won't be a burning problem due to the sugar from brining. I've successfully oven-roasted brined birds at very high heat - much higher than a WSM would get.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I've cooked several turkey bone is breasts, usually apple brined. Started out by cooking just like Chris's whole turkey directions, and always came out so good, never changed. I've never done it with no water, is this just to cook hotter for crisp skin??? I've never worried about the skin, just took it off after smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back