Smoked Turkey and Spare ribs w/pics

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Today, I brined and smoked a turkey today for New Year's Eve. I did the Apple brine for the turkey. I used Apple wood. I was able to get the smoker to around 325F, I had trouble in the past getting it above 300F. It took about 4 hrs to smoke the turkey. It came our very tender and moist.

I picked up some plywood this weekend to build a wind break, but I did not have enough time to make it. I always get a slight breeze from the back side of my house, so I just place the 4X8 piece up, to block the breeze, like you see in the photo. It worked well. I will build that wind shield on Monday.

The spare ribs were Farmer John's brand, on sale for $1.49 lb. It was an after thought. I smoked the ribs for 2hrs, then wrapped in foil with coke brush on(I lost my spray bottle). Then 2hrs in foil, they were falling off the bone. Brush a little BBQ sauce outside the foil. They were very good.

All in all, I just love the WSM, it's a great smoker. Hope you enjoy the photos.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AZMnDhk1ZMXNQ

For my first time smoking a turkey, awhile back, I just put a rub on the turkey, no brine, threw it on the smoker. The skin was crispy and good, but the turkey was on the dry side. My last two turkeys, in which I brined, both birds were very moist and tender. But the skin peels off, on the soft side. I'm not a skin person, so this is ok with me. The skin was not firm or crispy on my last few smokes. I'd say, go for it, anyway, brine, and smoke a turkey. It turns out it's not very hard to do. Thanks for the nice comments. The ribs were a hit, as well as the turkey. Now I'm in demand to do this more often.

After brining, did you let the turkey sit in the the fridge for at least 8 hours to dry out the skin. It would be better if you left them sit longer. Since I learned to leave the bird dry out in the fridge the skin has been crispy and the bird was still moist.

Back