Smoked Trout

Glenn M

TVWBB Member
I'm going on a fishing campout in a few weeks and doing a couple of butts for everyone one night.

We'll be catching trout, flounder and redfish and I'd like to smoke some of this, at least some trout for myself and the guys.

I read a few things on here in the recipe section and the search function. It seems Alder is the traditional wood. I have apple, cherry and guava and would prefer to use one of these if I can.

If anyone has information regarding temp and cook times it would be appreciated. I'm guessing the trout will weigh 1-3 pounds. Is brining necessary or just a nice extra?

I'm thinking that the test of doneness will be based on feeling rather than temp. Any advice on what to look for would be appreciated.

I have little experience with fish but I can tell you that apple and cherry will work nicely. I am not sure about guava (don't have any around here). I bought some alder early this year and it is still in the barn unused. From what I have read you want to use a real mild wood which most fruit wood will qualify.

For some reason people rave about the alder. I guess I will find out why when I get around to buying some more fish. I really want to try some tuna. I saw some at sams a couple of months ago but didn't have time to cook it and the butcher said they were going to start carrying it so I didn't buy it. I haven't seen any there since.
icon_frown.gif

Glenn,

I have smoked trout that I've caught locally, and it is absolutely fantastic. The trick is to get one large enough to provide you a nice fillet, and also not drying it out. I would say a high heat smoke (350) for probably no more than 10-13 min per pound. As far as smoke wood goes, I use alder--mostly because it's available and I hear that's what everybody uses for fish. If you have mulitple fish, a good idea would be to try one first then extrapolate the results to the other fish, keeping in mind weight differences. Can't help ya with the redfish...I wish we had more of it here though! : )

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it!

icon_cool.gif

It makes sense to smoke one at first (especially since they won't take long at all) and adjust from there. Good advice that! I'm sure I'll be using one of my fish before the guys hand over theirs...I bet if we get it going I'll be doing two racks at a time. I'll have to post a picture of that if it happens.

Phil I'm not sure where you are in Northern California but I grew up spending my summers with my grandparents on Eagle Lake in Lassen County. Amazing place really and the trout were big and had pink meat just like salmon. You're doing pretty good when you get a bunch of 5 year olds to love eating fish. Of course we just caught them so we felt like we were part of the whole thing which we were.

Thanks again for the responses guys!

For Trout, you can use a brine with salt alone or with sugar and salt, and added spices and herbs, try star anise or fennal seeds, and some garlic.

Brine the Trout in a ziploc, with the salt, sugar, spices, in your cooler around 38° - 40°, you can brine Trout from 6 hours to over night without trouble.

Air dry the fish after it comes out of the brine, to form the pellicle, care should be taken to keep the flies off the fish if you can.

You want to keep your smoker heat to under 120° to 140° if you can for the first "cooking" hour, then allow the temp to rise to about 180° for 3 - 4 hours. For the last 20 - 30 minutes allow the temp to pass 210° or boiling point of water, to help kill any bugs (bacteria) that may be around.

Alder works well as does cherry and apple, I have even done Trout with white oak as I like a soft oak flavor.

Back