smoked summer sausage?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy,

I was reading a recent post about smoking summer sausage. I probably missed the part of the website that covered this topic.

In WI, we have summer sausage coming out of our ears, and I was curious if you literally put a summer sausage with "casing" right on the grill and smoke it as is?

If anyone could elaborate, I would appreciate.

Troy

Troy,
I smoked my first batch last week. I do use a casing(not natural). I made this batch with ground beef, I'm out of ground deer. I have a pretty good recipe if you want it. I did put it on the smoker and it was great. The only thing I will do different next batch is use hickory instead of oak/apple. Not enough smoke flavor. Hope this helps.

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I think I understand now. It sounds like you are making your own summer sausage and then smoking it. Our grocery stores have multitudes of premade sausage logs from various producers and I was trying to figure out if you were smoking these. Have you ever tried smoking a premade summer sausage?

Troy

What I did was boil the summer sausage in 3 cans of beer for 20-30 minutes then right onto the smoker. They plump really large and tasted great! We used a BUNCH of wood because we wanted the good smokey flavor. It came out great and made perfect apitizers(sp) before I served the babyback ribs! I'm not sure if you NEED to boil them, but it's something I have always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back