Smoked Peanuts in The Shell

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
A guy in the Facebook group got me interested in trying to smoke Peanuts in the shell so I tried it with one pound of raw peanuts from Amazon. I chose this recipe to start with. <https://www.lifesatomato.com/.../smoked-peanuts-in-the.../ After researching the subject, I made some changes to the recipe. The recipe says boil the Peanuts in a brine for 20 minutes. I did that and then let them simmer for an hour. I patted the drained peanuts dry and dried them further in a 170° oven. I put them in 2 vegetable smoking baskets and on the EX4 with temp set to 250° F. After 30 minutes I stirred the Peanuts, rotated the baskets 180°, and swapped shelves. After 1 hour the shells hadn't changed color and the nut I tested was mushy, but salty. I pulled one off every thirty minutes to test it. At the 2 hour mark I raised the set temp to 275. At the 4 hour mark I logged "almost ready" and raised set temp to 300. I took them off 30 minutes later and I think that 30 minutes overcooked them. The shells never got a lot of color as you can see in the picture of the finished product with some raw peanuts laying next to the tray. I like the taste of store bought better so I probably won't do this again except to use up the other pound of raw peanuts. I'll pick a different brine and roast them in the oven.
EDIT: Remember folks. I am not in the same league of cooks as many of our members. I'm a backyard cook. I'm trial and error trained so never take my word as the final authority on cooking. You might like them.
Peanuts Boiling 10-7-22.jpgPeanuts Cooking 10-7-22.jpgPeanuts Cooked 10-7-22.jpg

Back