Smoked Meatloaf

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I smoked a meat loaf (acutally a venison loaf) for the first time this weekend on the WSM. For smoke wood I used two fist sized pieces of cherry wood. I used no water in the pan and ran the smoker for about an hour and half at 350 - 375 degrees. I took the loaf off at 170 degrees internal temp. I also put the meat loaf on wax paper durning the cook so the smoke could reach all the way around the loaf. The meatloaf was awesome! Nice smoke ring and the smoke flavor really adds a lot the meat loaf. I was thinking next time to rub the loaf with some rub before smoking it to really kick it up a notch. The only problem I ran into was the loaf kind of fell apart when we were slicing it. But, I think that was because I did not use enough eggs or breadcrumbs in my recipe, not because of the WSM cook. Smoked meatloaf is a must try for anyone who has not already! Can't wait to eat my meatloaf sandwich for lunch.

Yeah - good job. I enjoyed the meat loaf I cooked on the smoker.

Tell me more about the wax paper - how'd it do a those temps and how did wax paper allow smoke to contact the bottom of the loaf?

Loren

Here is how I used the wax paper. I piled the meat onto a large piece of wax paper and then formed it into a loaf. Then I cut the wax paper and only left about one inch on all sides of the loaf. The smoke ring did go all around the loaf but the bottom of the loaf did not have nearly as good a smoke ring as the other three sides. The wax paper did not burn or break at all. In fact, when I cut the loaf the knife had a hard time breaking the wax paper.

My meatloaf recipe includes eggs and rolled oats and it held together very well. I used 2 1/4 pounds of ground round, 2# Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, and 4# of ground venison. I molded this into two large loaves. The venison didn't have any pork or beef added when it was ground. I used water in the pan and two chunks of apple wood and a full chimney of Kingsford. If you want more details send me a message.

I am thinking of adding some blue cheese to the center of each loaf next time.

Hey Rick, you can get higher temps without water in the pan and ML soaks up smoke quick and cooks better at higher temps. Sort of like baking in the smoker.

George, I think another reason my meatloaf did not hold together as well as I would have liked was because I stuffed the center of the meatloaf with a lot of mushrooms. I even left the loaf in the fridge for an hour to try and make sure it was firm.

Rick, High temps make the smoker act like an oven. The WSM can do it all. By they way do I know you?
icon_confused.gif
You are from Minooka I bet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...did not hold together as well as I would have liked was because I stuffed the center of the meatloaf with a lot of mushrooms... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found fresh veggies to do that to mine as well. Like fresh onion or bell pepper.

Brinkman makes a wire loaf pan for meatloaf. It allows smoke all around the loaf. I believe they reccomend removing the loaf after it starts to firm up during cooking and place it directly on the grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My meatloaf recipe includes eggs and rolled oats and it held together very well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too, George. I like using some bread crumbs, some rolled oats and dried onion flakes.

Here are a few pics of a 7lb meatloaf I did a couple weeks ago. I mixed up a basic meatloaf recipe, sprayed a metal pan with Pam (as a release agent) and packed the meatloaf into the pan. Tightly wrapped aluminum foil around the top and refrigerated for several hours. I then cut all of the excess foil along the rim of the bowl so that the piece of aluminum foil was exactly the size of the meatloaf. Then placed the meatloaf upside down with the foil on the bottom on to the top grate. I used sand in the pan and 4 small pieces of hickory, cooked with a dome temp of 250* until the internal temp read 160*. The meatloaf was the best one I've ever had.
Here are the pics, MEATLOAF

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Larry that meatloaf is the best looking piece of meat I ahve ever seen. My mouth is watering!!! Could you mail me sample.

LOL
Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just e-mailed you a vac sealed piece from the freezer! Hope you like it!

Larry, Your ML looks great! I cant wait to smoke another ML. For a really zesty sauce for the ML I like to mix Kethup, Brown Sugar, and Pinnaple Perserves together. It is really a nice change to your normal ketchup based sauce.

Back