Smoked Meatballs?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Curtis Adams' success with his first meatloaf got me to thinking....has anyone smoked meatballs for dinner or for an hors d'oeuvre?

Which leads to...what kind of sauce to either serve them with or to use as a dipping sauce at a party? Not necessarily a tomato-based sauce, but more like a brown sauce, maybe with a bit of lemon and capers (such as with Königsberger Klopse - Meatballs, Königsberg Style)?

Rita

I haven't tried smoking meatballs but the wife has an amazing recipe that she makes in a crockpot. All I know is store-bought BBQ sauce and grape jelly.
icon_smile.gif

Yes, for hors d'oeuvre. They can be done ahead of time (use one of those cheap pizza screen things) and cooled/chilled till needed. You can reheat in the oven but this is yet another item that skewers well (2 on a short skewer) and reheats well on a hibachi.

A selection of sauces is nice if doing meatballs as an hors d'oeuvre: Doug D's smoked mushroom dip, thinned with light cream or milk and adjusted for salt (I like a fresh thyme mince addition) makes a great sauce, a sauce chasseur, pureed a bit, works well too. A roasted garlic-demi sauce with minced fresh parsley is nice as is a straight parsley-garlic sauce. And, of course, fruit works really well with meat and smoke--I like a pineapple-jus sort of thing and a caramelized onion-thyme-black pepper mix pureed and re-panned then flambeed with cheap cognac or brandy. Let that evap to nothing and mix in some cassis for fruit notes. Adjust consistency with stock. For a caper thing I'd suggest mincing the nonpareils. Sweat a little pressed garlic and minced shallot, deglaze with white, add the minced capers and some lemon slices (great if you've grilled the lemon slices first--really ties in well), cook a few minutes on low, then remove the lemon slices and mount with whole butter. Adjust seasoning and add a few drops of lemon juice, if desired, and minced fresh parsley. Don't discount a tomato sauce though. A nice one for these is a puttanesca with, of course, olives and capers and a bit of anchovy. It just needs to be briefly pureed to work as a dipping sauce and is delicious (great on grilled bread as well).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
And, of course, fruit works really well with meat and smoke--I like a pineapple-jus sort of thing . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You are the pineapple king.

Wow, I'm liking this idea... meatball fondue.

That's me!

But I am also quite fond of Montmorency or Morello cherries, apricot, peach, mango, pomegranate, tamarind, etc., etc.

Two more notes on these: You can add caramelization during the reheat if you smoke them in advance by reheating them direct on the grill or hibachi but you can also do the same in an oil-filmed saute pan.

Back