smoked mashed potatoes and roasted garlic

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I'm wanting to do nearly the full meal on the smoker this weekend and am planning a few chickens at high heat. Thought I'd throw on some russets to bake, but I'm thinking maybe I'll mash them. Then I got to thinking, maybe I'll smoke them, then mash them. Then I got to thinking again (dangerous), maybe I'll roast some garlic in the smoker and add it to the smoked mashed potatoes. Maybe I'll call it Smoked Roasted Garlic Baked Mashed Potatoes? I can't think of any other cooking adjectives to add to it.

Any thoughts on how I should do this?

I'm thinking this:

Throw 4 russets on the smoker for about an hour. They are good sized, and the smoker should be in the 300 range. About 30 minutes before I pull the potatoes, I'll prepare the garlic for roasting/smoking (chop off top of whole head, drizzle olive oil, S&P and herbs, wrap in foil). Maybe I'll leave some of the foil open at the top to get some smokiness in them.

Take the garlic off and mash about half of them into a paste (don't want it overly garlicky) Take the potatoes off and with a towel to protect my hands, remove the skins. Throw them with the mashed garlic into a mixing bowl. Mix with tons of butter. Add cream or milk. Salt and done.

Sound like that would work out OK? Anything I should change?

This recipe says you should wash the potatoes a day in advance and let them dry out so they can "soak up" more smoke. Wonder if that is true.

I also saw a post from Rita Y for waterpan potatoes . Intriguing, but since I'm doing a high heat cook, I won't have any water in the pan...

Any thoughts?

I make something similar, but I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes. I love how the slow cooking really brings out the sugars.

The only thing I would do differently is that I would heat the cream and butter and roasted garlic in a sauce pan. Bring it to a simmer, then add some kosher or course sea salt, and some grated parmesan cheese (to taste).

I would then partially mash the potatoes, add in the cream mixture, and then mash/stir it all together.

Yummy.

I'd figure a longer time on the pots if they're good-sized; probably over an hour on the garlic, depending on size.

Sounds good.

I have smoked potato's many times and really like them. I just want to say that the smaller to medium sized that I usually use takes 90 minutes in a 250 degree smoke. I done some large bakers once for 2 hours and was disappointed when they still weren't done.

Another thing I did a while back was take the skin off of the potato and put butter on it along with some salt and pepper then put into the smoker. The potato went directly into the bowl now peeling required. Note the potato's weren't white like normal more of a brown color. If that bothers you, you may want to smoke with the skins on.

I love the idea of Rita's waterpan potatoes - but do the meat drippings not affect the taste of the potatoes? I suppose - for the better??!!

Back