Smoked Homemade Sausage With Pics

shawn244

TVWBB Fan
I just finished up smoking 9lbs of Homemade Kielbasa, Bratwurst, and Texas Hot Links for the Illinois Basketball game tonight. I grinded the meat and stuffed the Sausages into the casings the night before and let them sit overnight so that the spices could work their magic. I fired up the WSM using the Minion Method and used about 3 chuncks of apple wood for the smoke wood. I ran the WSM at 250 for 2.5hrs for the sausages. The Sausages came out juciy and tasted fantastic. Everyone loved the mild somokey flavor of the apple wood. I also had a butterflied chicken on the bottom rack so I really had to pack in the sausages on the top rack. The chicken took a bath overnight in Italian Dressing and then I applied a Rub I found on the BBQ University site. I put the chicken on the bottom rack 2:45mins before the sausage went on. All in all a very successful cook. I love the WSM. You can check out pics of the sausage here.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?showSlide=true&Uc=4c45zn3t.6applf71&Uy=-9p1m9s&Upost_signin=BrowsePhotos.jsp%3FshowSlide%3Dtrue&Ux=0

Boy, everything looks great! Those sausages are gorgeous. I'll have to be brave and try to smoke some myself. What kinds of sausages were they?

Sure looks like you got nice crispy skin on your chicken...!

The Sausage are Bratwurst, Texas Hot Links, and the long Sausage is Kielbasa. I have been making homemade Sausage for a few years now and I just started to put them on the WSM. I love the results. We ate the leftovers tonight for the NCAA championship game and my friend said he could really smell the smoke flavor when I took the Sausage out of the fridge.

If you do not want to make your own homemade sausage just pick up some quality sausage from your meat market. I like to put on some sausage on the WSM for about 2hrs during long smokes like a brisket or butt. I throw the sausage on at the halfway point for a snack!

You are right the chicken did have a crispy skin. I was surprised since I had the chicken on the lower rack. I left the chicken on for 4hrs. But after I took the Sausage off the temp spiked to 280 degrees for the last 40mins the chicken was on. I am thinking that did the trick. I will have to experiment and see if it works again.

Back