smoked goose

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Got my wsm a month ago. 1st attempt was a pork roast. Smokey, moist, firm. Am waiting for a new bi-metal thermo to mount permantly. In the mean time I use a candy thermo in the top vent (thanks to a previous post), works great. Done chicken, pork butt, and salmon (smoked low and slow using hickory) 3 chunks and could have been smokier. Alder would be prefered but even here in the GNW it can't be found in stores.
1 word of advice, get a thermometer no mater how archaic. It will do wonders!
BTW, I knew I was on the right track when my son asked (2 days after the butt), can we have pork for dinner?!. AWSOME
My question is, how to do goose? Not many posts on the site that help.
Smokin in Des moines WA

I would probably follow the turkey directions....
I almost bought a goose at a local market. At $60
a pop I thought I would let someone else chart that un- explored territory first /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif .

I haven't smoked goose, but I have had it roasted a number of times. It's like duck in that wild birds can be quite lean and domestic ones can have much fat. I've also had "range fed" domestic goose which had just about no fat and not much breast, either!

Bob,

I asked a similar question about Duck awhile back and I'm sure the answer would apply to goose.
Smokers are used traditonally for cuts of meat that require low temps and long cooking to break down fibers. Duck and Goose have so much fat that they are rarely tough, and the skin is what they are prized for...smoking will not give a crisp skin. You are probably better off cooking the goose with an indirect method on a charcoal grill with some wood chucks added during the cook for flavor.
Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back