Smoked garlic

I'm a big fan of roasted garlic and use it to flavor lots of different thngs . . . that said, I was wondering if anyone has tried to smoke a head of garlic. If so, how did it turn out?

Normally I'll roast a head of garlic in a little tin-foil pouch in the oven at 350 for about an hour. But I wonder if it will work "low and slow"?

Also, "To foil or not to foil? That is the question."

Any ideas?

Bill

You'd need to slice the top off to expose the actual edible part to some smoke-- otherwise you'll just be smoking the skin. In foil, all you'd get is roasted garlic, same as the oven.

Doug is right; slice off the upper 1/4 to 1/3 of the garlic head before smoking it.

Jim Minion says that garlic (unwrapped) can be smoked at 250°F until soft. I've smoked it from 1 to 2 hours, depending on temperature.

Once it's smoked, wrap it tightly in Saran and let it cool a bit. Extract as much flesh as possible into a mini-processor. Add a little salt and about 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (for 2 heads) and purée. Pour into a small jar and freeze; use as needed. (Butter is also great, but not if you want to use the purée for a salad dressing.)

Rita

Back