Smoked Chicken Wings...

Jim Reincke

yum-Yum-YUM!
Smoked up 5lbs of chicken wings yesterday for dinner (not just for me)...WOW were they good. I have never done wings before; always grilled them. Smoked 'em between 225* and 250* for almost 2.5 hours. Had a drip pan under them with a mixture of water and leftover marinade (canola oil, honey, red wine vinegar, Lea & Perrins, Kosher Salt); then spritzed them every 15 minutes in the last 1.5 hours with straight apple juice...turned them once toward the end of the cook cycle and added a few more chips of Hickory to get the underside evenly colored to match the top. They were awesome...think I'll have some leftovers for lunch today!
Thanks to lots of great suggestions, and reading, on this site, we have been in smoker mode for about a week now...Whole Chickens, Baby Backs, and now Chix Wings. Thanks to all of you who post on this site!

Jim,

That sounds very good. I've never done my smoked wings like that, but I might have to try. I LOVE smoked wings and I almost always have some on whenever guests are coming over as appatizers.

Josh

Your right, smoked wings are very good. I have been doing them, when I do ribs. After doing ribs, there is usually still plenty of coals to cook some wings. First time I did them, we were suprised at how good they were.

I have found though, that the piece called the drumette is even better. I buy them in the frozen section. I also use a spray of apple juice, and vinegar, then dust them with the same rub that I just used for the ribs. Makes it nice for when you are having alot of people over. And, I've been thinking about throwing a few in food saver bags after being cooked. For instant dinner type of thing. Have no idea how frozen chicken on the bone will be....
icon_smile.gif

Hadn't thought of FoodSaver bags! Could do up a couple bags of them at once, seal 'em up and freeze 'em for a later time! Great idea!

I found them at Wal-mart grocery...frozen. I'm not a fan of the meat department there, generally speaking, but found these wings already sectioned and ready for the smoker. I think they were about $5-$6 for the 5lbs bag.

Jim,
I smoked some wings a few months ago and posted about the result-do a search if interested. I was really happy w/ the results. This is an undiscovered treat.

Hey there Dr. of Bar B Cue,

Just read your entry for the wings you did a while back...direct cooking for the few minutes...did that make the skins crispier? Do you remember your cook temp? I did mine for about 2.5 hours, without the direct cook first, and they were plenty done, but the skins weren't as crispy as I would have liked. Still REALLY good though!

Jim

Re: Foodsavering the left-overs.

They save & reheat very well from the freezer when kept in a foodsaver bag. Reheat in oven at 275 for 20 minutes.

I do mine on my kettle; high-heat indirect with some smoke chips/chunks added . It gets them nice & crispy. I strongly prefer the drummettes pieces versus the drummette + second portion of wing - Less finicky when its eating time.

I will have to try wings on the WSM.

If you have time after the wings are cooked, you can easily and carefully twist out one of the two bones in the second portion of wing. As you say, less finiky at eating time.
Rita

Darrell,

Unfortunately for me, I do not have a WSM yet. All of my 'low & slow' cooking has been done on my weber kettles. I have been using the 'minion method' and placing a drip pan under the meat...so far so good. Can hardly wait to get a 'REAL' smoker (I have a Brinkman water smoker, but have never really gotten the 'bug' for it).

Back