smoked chicken carcasses

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
OK, I've got a big ol' stack of chicken carcasses in the fridge from the 6 chickens I did yesterday. Any ideas on how to put them to use?

I don't think I want to use them in stock, since I like my stocks rather neutral. So, I'm thinking they'd be good in beans, sort of like a ham hock would be. Any other ideas?

Does anyone use their old smoked chicken bones, or just throw them out?

Well it's almost corn season and i would bet that 1 or 2 of them would make a nice base for some chicken corn soup. Chicken corn soup is very popular here in PA dutch country.
icon_biggrin.gif

As Kruger says, I usually use them in soups or a pot of beans or sometimes I put the carcasses in with a pot of greens (collards, spinack, kale, etc)
for a wonderful flavor addition.

Ray

As for use in stock, The first time I used a smoked carcass the smokiness was a little overpowering. Try a little to start...you will grow to love it in stock etc. These are all good recomendations.

Morgan - great idea to make some stock, reduce, then use as a base for BBQ sauce. I'll have to try that.

I've got 6 carcasses... so some flexibility in how I want to use them.

I think I'll keep 2 for soup/beans. Then use 4 to make some smoky stock for either more beans, or some good BBQ sauce.

Thanks for the recs. Great ideas, folks.

Hi Adam
I'd turn em all into reduced stock.
I use carrot, stick celery, onion, garlic, peppercorn, clove, thyme, bay leaves, parsley stalks, bit of pork belly (or bacon), and mushroom trimmings (or even none of the above just the chix)
6 litres of stalk gets reduced until I can pour it into a jug, let it cool then cover it and chill it in the fridge.
Then you can take out spoonfulls and freeze or use ... lasts a long time.
Also, the smoke flavour seems to not be so harsh, but that could just be my burned out smoke sensors (the ones next to the capsaicin sensors
icon_biggrin.gif

Back