Smoked cheese

Stu M.

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

Have not done smoked cheese yet, but would like too soon. I would think a smoked horseradish cheddar would be great with brisket. Any recomendations...

Definitely use a mild smokewood, and don't overdo it. Like the barbecue that tastes smokier the next day due to the cook's desensitization, oversmoked cheese is just nasty.

Smoked Cheese

I have done cheese twice pretty much just like in Chris's article that Doug linked to.

I lit 4 pieces of charcoal with a torch and then put 1 small chunk of apple on 2 briquettes and a small piece of cherry on the other 2. For me 45 minutes to an hour max. I always wait til it is below freezing outside.

I have tried several cheddars, swiss, motzarella, colby, kojack, pepper jack. That is all that I can think of. I really liked all but the cheddar. I don't care much for cheddar to begin with but I don't like it at all smoked. The motzarella and swiss were my favorites. I had a wheel of swiss that turned out very strong and thought I was going to have to toss it. Instead I bagged it in my foodsaver. I opened it a couple weeks later and loved it. I ate or gave away every bit of that 5 pound wheel.

Thanks for info. For some reason I did not see the smoked cheese article in "Cooking topics", sorry about that. Jeff, thinking about coming back up and seeing you again but this time bringing my sauce with me to for you too try. I get rave reviews about it but want a seasoned BBQ'er to give me an honest opinion as well. You OK with that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I have done cheese twice pretty much just like in Chris's article that Doug linked to.

I lit 4 pieces of charcoal with a torch and then put 1 small chunk of apple on 2 briquettes and a small piece of cherry on the other 2. For me 45 minutes to an hour max. I always wait til it is below freezing outside.

I have tried several cheddars, swiss, motzarella, colby, kojack, pepper jack. That is all that I can think of. I really liked all but the cheddar. I don't care much for cheddar to begin with but I don't like it at all smoked. The motzarella and swiss were my favorites. I had a wheel of swiss that turned out very strong and thought I was going to have to toss it. Instead I bagged it in my foodsaver. I opened it a couple weeks later and loved it. I ate or gave away every bit of that 5 pound wheel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it has anything to do with BBQ I am into it. I will be closing up shop at the end of October so you may want to take that into account.

No need to wait for freezing weather. Fill your water pan with ice cubes. No more than 3 - 4 lit briquettes. Can maintain 80º - 90º. May have to add another lit briquette during the smoke.

When you try the cheese would you please post your results. I have thoght about it,asked the same question on the,forum and have not had the cahones to try smoking some I would hate to melt it and waste a good hunk of cheese.

Thanks,

Tom

Back