Smoked Cheese, Nuts, Brie, Mushrooms & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn J

TVWBB Fan
When I snack on cheese, I like smoked cheddar and smoked gouda.

Anyone have any favorites that rival these two?

I hate to admit this but ya know what? I like Velveeta on a Ritz cracker.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the fancier cheeses but for some reason I like a simple Velveeta on a plain old Ritz.

BTW, velveeta melts really well on a cheeseburger.

TownHouse for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

I smoked Montery Jack on the WSM twice already. I didn't smoke at 90* as suggested, I put it in a foil pan and put it on the smoker at the end of a smoke and left it on for about an hour. It melted, but was great to dip crackers into. Probably going to hear from somebody about how I could have gotten sick or sometyhing from smokin this way...but I'm still here!

Hi Glen,

Yeah, I know it's one of those things. Last weekend I was eating a smoked italian "something that began with a and ended in o cheese with black truffles in it." it was great and I'm glad i tried it. But when I was done I kind of just wanted Velveeta on a a Ritz.

Anyway just to keep my reputation intact here's another favorite at the other end of the scale. I've been thinking about how to smoke it.

It's baked brie with caramelized onions.

I've had really good success substituting the thyme with fennel seed and adding pernod.

Give it a try you might like it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1008

We've smoked various cheddars, swiss, montery jack, pepper jack, provolone, mozzarella, and we coming back to Robert's favorite, cheddar. I like the swiss, myself, but seems most folks that have tried ours didn't really care for the Swiss that much - the cheddar flavor seems to stand up to the smoke much better. 3 briquettes and a few handfuls of chips will keep cool smoke going for hours. On the other hand, we've done it a number of times where we had folks bring their favorite kind of cheese, chunk 'em up and lay them all out on a big foil-lined pan, set the thing in the big smoker with ribs or whatever, and just let it all melt together for a while. Take it out, let it cool and set back up, peel the foil off of it, and folks just go nuts for it.

Please PLEASE tell me how you do the brie with caramelized onions!!!!! It sounds positively heavenly. OOPS... NOW I see the link. Sorry about that...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Not to get off the subject, I've also smoked almonds and walnuts. Sprinkled with tabasco first then on the WSM for about an hour. It went great with the cheese, crackers and beer

Keri,

After all the advice I've gotten from your posts it's a pleasure to be able to give you one back.

BTW, one Thanksgiving a few years back my brother and I ate an entire large brie wheel with bread done this way. It's unbelieveable. Mom really gave it to us since we were too full to eat the rest of the dinner but what the heck. It really is great.

I keep thinking there's probably a way to add a little bit of a smoke to it and make it better.

Nick,

I have done smoked walnuts on my stick burner, using the recipe in "Smoke and Spice" and it was great. Now that I think about it, it was actually listed in "Sublime Smoke"

1.5 T butter
1 T brown sugar
1 t crushed dried rosemary
.25 t garlic powder
2 cups of walnut halfs (about 0.5 pounds)
.25 t coarse salt

Mix everything but the nuts on the stove, then add the nuts and mix her up. Then smoke at 225-250 for 30 minutes.

Thanks Keri for listing the cheeses you have tried. Cheddar is my favorite, but I wanted to see if anyone had found anything better.

Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn J:
When I snack on cheese, I like smoked cheddar and smoked gouda.

Anyone have any favorites that rival these two? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I haven't done much cheese on WSM yet and perhaps this is splitting hairs but I really liked the 3yr aged white cheddar I did. But hey, it's good on it's own. The last two packages I bought never even made it on to the smoker
icon_smile.gif

Shawn,

I like aged white cheddar too, but try the smoked sharp cheddar. To me its the best; even if you don't smoke it on your WSM (sometimes I just buy the smoked cheddar at the grocery store).

Glenn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn J:
Shawn,

I like aged white cheddar too, but try the smoked sharp cheddar. To me its the best; even if you don't smoke it on your WSM (sometimes I just buy the smoked cheddar at the grocery store).

Glenn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sounds good Glenn, I will give it a go. Thanks.

I like the smoked swiss and brie, myself.

Here's another brie recipe. I baked it in the WSM with a little smoke wood. For the filling I used a spicy peach chutney, although salami and smoked mushrooms sound pretty good too. I used two pieces of pastry and sealed the edges around like a pie.

Baked Stuffed Brie
1 lb. Brie
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 egg — beaten
Filling (use one): cranberry chutney, some sliced capacola or Genoa salami, mushroom duxelles, some
sauteed fennel or leek.

Defrost pastry and roll out. Slice Brie in half or in thirds horizontally and put in desired filling. Place in center of pastry and cut off the four corners of the pastry a couple of inches down. Completely wrap the pastry around the Brie, brushing with beaten egg whenever you put the pastry together. Flip the assembly over and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake at 400 F
until pastry is golden brown. Serve with water crackers.

Just kill me now. Go ahead. I can't stand it. Just get it over with. (she said breathlessly, drooling over this entire thread of cheese and nuts)

This just goes to show you that us "smoke" people really have good taste in food. All we need now is a good wine to pair with this and we're set. Sounds like a great idea for a party.

Mark
Carcass Cookers

I like to grill portobello mushrooms whole and then turn them upside down. Fill them with brie cheese til it melts. Then I put it on a toasted buttered bun, top it with ice cold tomatoes and lettice. Better than any cheese burger I ever had.

Tony,

The portabella burger sounds good. Do you scrape out the "gills" before grilling them? Coat with olive oil?

Glenn

Glen

I just take the stem off. Coat it with olive oil and season (your choice). Grill face down then flip face up, fill with brie cheese. Butter a bun and toast on grill. The nice warm bun and mushroom with the "COLD" tomatoes and lettice is outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back