Smoked Canned Chicken

Mark Dawson

TVWBB Member
We have been canning chicken breasts for years. It is great for quick meals (burritos, tacos, creamed chicken & biscuits, soup, etc.) In February, when there was a sale on boneless skinless chicken breasts I decided to add a twist by smoking a few of the breasts before canning. The chicken had a slightly darker color but I was afraid the smoke flavor would be lost during canning making this extra step a waste of time.

Well, we opened the first jar tonight. All I can say is WOW! The chicken shredded perfectly and had an awesome smoky flavor that made tonight’s chimichangas the best I’ve ever made. I will be using this method from now on.

Mark

Mark, Sounds great. I've canned alot of things but never meat. Maybe you could post a recipe and the process in the recipe forum.
icon_smile.gif

Homemade canned chicken? WOW, that I must admit freaks me out a bit. Only because I never have seen it done, other than what ive seen at the grocery. Bravo.

I got the idea for canned chicken breast after enjoying canned venison that my mom has made for many years. My grandmother told me that she used to can whole chickens (bones and all) in half gallon jars "back on the farm".

It is really very simple. Put your meat in pint or quart jars. (We've always used raw meat until now). Add ½ tsp of canning salt and a little water. Process at 10 lbs for 75 minutes for pints (I think 90 minutes for quarts).

That's all there is to it.

The meat reheats in minutes. Add a little chopped onion, chilis, beans, or whatever you like and throw into a tortilla with cheese. A wonderful quick treat.

Mark

I'm intrigued - so you cook the meat in a jar - crockery? Or glass? And in a pressure cooker or what? It is new concept to me...

Andrew

dude... canned smoked chicken. never, ever heard of something like that. but it sounds awesome.

for those of us who have never even set eyes on canned meat, can you elaborate on what you mean when you say, "process at 10 lbs for 75 minutes for pints..."

Does that mean cook for 75 minutes? what does process mean? Sorry for what are probably really dumb questions. I just don't have a clue, but, like Andrew, am totally intrigued.

Last... are you at all worried about bacteria or the meat going bad? what is the shelf life? Presuming this is how they did it back in the old days and they seemed to live, it must be a good way to preserve meat without a freezer. Still, I think I'd be nervous.

Canning is possibly a dying tradition with the current generation and all the easily available processed/microwavable food. It involves using a Pressure Canner to seal food into mason jars for long term storage. Canning can be used for all sorts of vegetables, fruit, jams/jellies, juices, chili, spaghetti sauce, and meat just like all the stuff you get in the grocery store.

When I was growing up we always had a huge garden, picked berries and bought lugs of peaches and pears. Everything was canned to last until the next year. Since I’ve gone to college, I am much smarter so I go to the local farmer’s markets to get all the fresh fruits & veggies I need for canning and I don’t need to spend all my time weeding a garden. I still hunt my own deer though.

If you are at all interested in canning, I highly recommend getting the Ball Blue Book. The book is loaded with “how to” details and recipes to make you an expert canner. Like good BBQ, canning takes time, but it’s definitely worth it.

Mark

Back