Smoked Burgers

Mike Carter

Having a get together this weekend and am wanting to smoke some hamburgers rather than grill them. Have never smoked burgers before so just wanted to get some input so I don't ruin them.

Planning on standard 1/3lb patties with maybe a little rub sprinkled on. Have never fired up the WSM with anything other than the Minion Method. For this short cook would a chimney of lit be enough with a few coals placed on top and a chunk of hickory? I don't think it should take but an hour-hour and a half to get to 165?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

I've not done burgers on the WSM, but it makes sense to me. Minion method would be pretty pointless for such a short cook, and I would think a chimney would be more than enough. I wouldn't put too much water in the bowl either.

Mesquite might work well for that too.

Never smoked burgers on my WSM so I can't help you there but do them quite regularly on my gas grill. I generally use mesquite (like the flavor with beef) and simply use some chips or chunks in tin foil set on top of one burner turned to low. Get the other burners hot and sear both sides of the burger then I put the burgers over the burner on low with the smoke wood, turn the other burners to low or possibly even off and continue to cook until done.

Generally takes about 30 minutes and as you know mesquite is pretty strong so I haven't found a need to smoke for any longer. Adds a nice touch to burgers and the family seems to love them.

There is no food more american than the hamburger. There are so many different ways to make them. And everyone is a connoisseur of an american cheeseburgers and can tell if its great or not as good as mcdonalds. But those people can't tell u how to make a great burger just which local dive in town makes the best ones.

I personally would love to see chris's take on a wsm hamburger. Even if its cooked in the weber egg config.

I also think mel might be onto something. A hamburger where u literally put some sliced ham on the burger as a topping. Like a cordon-burger.

I enjoy making burgers this way, especially if it's busy so I can just put them on and walk away. A chimney is fine, fully lit would be my preference, should take about 45 mintues or so and temps will get around 350. Definately no water in the pan, sometimes I take the pan out and don't use anything in it's place, the flames don't come high enough to harm the burgers.

Here's a few I did, if anything didn't make sense ask away!

SNB17324.jpg

SNB17339.jpg

4.jpg

BBQontheBypass183.jpg

BBQontheBypass184.jpg

BBQontheBypass186.jpg

BBQontheBypass187.jpg

Clark

Thanks for the info, Clark.

350? That probably didn't take much time at all. Enough time to get any smoke on them?

The few things I've found say 225ish for an hour or so then take internal temps.

Do you flip them, or just take them off when ready?

You could go with the lower temps, I just don't usually, due to time constratints, the only real end of the day difference is the amount of smoke.

Having said that if you put them on as you are bringing the cooker up to temp you will still lay a lot of smoke on them while they cook since burgers aren't too thick, it will still take about 45 minutes (remember it won't be at 350 the whole time). I dump the coals on when the chimney is about half lit or so.

Sometimes I flip and sometimes not, just depends how I feel and how much liquid accumulates on the top of them during cooking (you can end up with a lot cooking them this way!)

Clark

I cook burgers on a Weber kettle grill using the indirect method. I only use 1/2 chimney starter of Kingford and it cooks 4/5 burgers in 30 minutes. Just put the burgers on the indirect side, all vents open and in 30 minutes or less they are done. No need to turn the burgers. Makes the burgers very moist. If you use this method keep an eye on it the first couple times until you get an idea of how it works. Works great for hot dogs as well.

Bill

I smoke burgers once in a while. They come out like chopped steak. On the WSM, all vents open and foiled water pan. The burgers don't shrink. Check for done by pressing or using thermometer. On the kettle, indirect about 350-400. Lots of room for error.

Back