Smoked Brie

Don R

Anyone ever smoke a wheel of brie? I've tried smoking cheddar and fresh mozarella before. Cheddar was great, Mozz was ok. I wasn't sure whether brie would pick up any flavor through the rind.

Was thinking of doing it straight up (no pastry wrap or anything) then topping with pepper jelly.

Further ideas?

I've done a fair bit of cheddar and some gouda ... bries sounds good ... if I was to try smoking brie I think I would take the rind off so it picks up the smoke, make sure the cheese is very cold, do it quickly and really watch the temps. Brie that I have had is very soft and melts easily.

Hope you update the thread if you try it.

Don,

Below is a recipe I got from this web site a few months ago - did a search and could not find so I pasted it below. When I did this, I cooked the brie on my Weber gasser at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes and used apple wood in my smoke box. Did not remove the rind and it was wonderfully smokey! BTW, I stuffed mine with a good chutney. Yummy!

I don't know who to give credit to - their recipe is below.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Baked Stuffed Brie on Weber

Here's a Brie recipe I baked in the WSM with a little smoke wood. For the filling I used a spicy peach chutney, although salami and smoked mushrooms sound pretty good, too. I used two pieces of pastry and sealed the edges around like a pie.

Baked Stuffed Brie
1 lb. Brie
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1 egg — beaten
Filling (use one): cranberry chutney, some sliced capacola or Genoa salami, mushroom duxelles, some
sauteed fennel or leek.

Defrost pastry and roll out. Slice Brie in half or in thirds horizontally and put in desired filling. Place in center of pastry and cut off the four corners of the pastry a couple of inches down. Completely wrap the pastry around the Brie, brushing with beaten egg whenever you put the pastry together. Flip the assembly over and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush top with beaten egg. Bake at 400 F
until pastry is golden brown. Serve with water crackers.

Back