Smoked beer can chicken

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
Decided to try a smoked beer can chicken today. Have done them on my grill but never tried to smoke one before. I am so glad I bought my WSM. In the three short weeks I've had it this will be my 10th smoke already. I bought some beef ribs at the store this morning that were on sale so they will be going on later in the week. My poor grill is feeling neglected I think. Will maybe take care of that tomorrow night, lol.

This is what the looked liked prior to going on. Trying the Weber Kick'n Chicken. Can had onions, lemons, garlic and cumin in it prior to going in the chicken. Will post more after they are done.

Lots a flavors you have going on...it's going to be good.
What kind if wood will you be using?

Tony, some apple and and piece of hickory.

Just realized I put this in the grilling forum. If some knows how to move it to the photo forum, just let me know and I will. Thanks

Here is the completion.
Halfway through and checking the progress. Glad I checked them at this point because I noticed my son didn't put the meat probe in the breast of the chicken.

How they looked when they came off.

After tenting them and letting them sit for 20 min. I started to remove the cans from the chicken. Wound up burning my hand when the contents spilled and ran down my hand. So sorry the list thing I was thinking about was taking pics of the cutting process. Oh well, next time.

I tried a combination of cooking in the 250 range and uping the temp about half way thru to try and crisp the skin. Doing it this way wasn't the results I was hoping for. The chicken picked up decent smoke flavor but not as much if I had left it at the lower temp. Had a very fine pink area where the smoke had seeped in. The skin was still too rubbery for what I wanted. However, it was extremely moist and was still delicious. Next time will stick with the low and slow and just discard the skin. Gotta try to keep it healthy right, ha ha.

RB I am in the same camp with fowl on the WSM, love the meat flavor but do not like the skin even at higher temps. You have two options in my mind for chicken. One remove the pan completely and then cook or use the kettle or in my case the Genesis with some smoke wood added. either will give me what I am looking for in the skin dept. Or take it off the smoker and finish on the kettle or gas.

RB I am in the same camp with fowl on the WSM, love the meat flavor but do not like the skin even at higher temps. You have two options in my mind for chicken. One remove the pan completely and then cook or use the kettle or in my case the Genesis with some smoke wood added. either will give me what I am looking for in the skin dept. Or take it off the smoker and finish on the kettle or gas.
I could not agree more. Bill is right on the mark. I would try no pan in the smoker first.

Back