Smoked a Corned Beef in 18"

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
Won't post to recipe thread since it needs some work, but wanted to share my mostly successful first long smoke.

1. Get advice on what to smoke from forum
  2. Buy pork butt from grocery store
  3. Take out pork butt next day to smoke
  4. Throw out pork butt based on bad smell
  5. Sulk about smelly butt
  6. Go to a butcher and pick up a corned beef
  7. Soak beef for 2 hours in bowl of water, place covered in fridge (Needs longer).
  8. Rinse beef then rub with Oktoberfest seasoning (https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/oktoberfest-bavarian-rub), ground pepper, plus whatever peppercorns and coriander were still stuck to it from the brine.
  9. Add about 30 hot coals from chimney to a mostly-full basket using Minion Method with some hickory chunks mixed in.
  10. Add about 8 cups hot water to water pan
  11. Insert TW Smoke probes - one into meat other air temp. Set Meat for 190, 300 for Air.
  12. Off she goes.
  13. Add more water.
  14. At 160F - 4.5 hrs in - wrapped in foil, added more coals plus cherry wood. Not sure if needed to bother with cherry since now wrapped in foil. Did not add extra juice or water before wrapping.
  15. Pulled at 185F, about 5.5hrs.
  16. Enjoy with fries and Dijon mustard.

Definitely need to let it soak more - I know some call for 24hrs, which might be too much. It was a little too salty, but fine with fries and mustard. Didn't get home until 1, so just did a two hour soak.

I was running it a little too low - around 275F - but believe recommended is closer to 300F.

Probably can skip Steps 1 - 5, personal preference.

Attachments

• Gear.jpg
    Gear.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Corned_Beef.jpg
    Corned_Beef.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
That 24 hour soak on a CB is a must to desalt it. Looks real good. Nothing a beer couldn’t solve. Enjoy your new girl and post more pics of your cooks.

Great post, sometimes it just not goes completely as planned, here is my epic fail from this summer. On a side note you are correct in #14 on not needing to add wood once it has been wrap. At that point you are not going to get any more smoke or even charcoal flavor in there. After the wrap you are just using the smoker as a heat source. That is why some here move the meat into the oven after wrapping verse keeping it on the smoker. That is not a method I use, but got no issues with it. However, there is no need to add wood once wrapping, save that wood for you next not smelly pork shoulder!

Thanks. Yeah figured about the extra wood and longer soak. It wasn't inedible, but especially having it plain vs with cabbage to potatoes, etc. the meat was strong. Will certainly do it again but plan better.

Ha, I knew what post that 'fail' was going to link to, :) .

Won't post to recipe thread since it needs some work, but wanted to share my mostly successful first long smoke.

1. Get advice on what to smoke from forum
  2. Buy pork butt from grocery store
  3. Take out pork butt next day to smoke
  4. Throw out pork butt based on bad smell
  5. Sulk about smelly butt
  6. Go to a butcher and pick up a corned beef
  7. Soak beef for 2 hours in bowl of water, place covered in fridge (Needs longer).
  8. Rinse beef then rub with Oktoberfest seasoning (https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/oktoberfest-bavarian-rub), ground pepper, plus whatever peppercorns and coriander were still stuck to it from the brine.
  9. Add about 30 hot coals from chimney to a mostly-full basket using Minion Method with some hickory chunks mixed in.
  10. Add about 8 cups hot water to water pan
  11. Insert TW Smoke probes - one into meat other air temp. Set Meat for 190, 300 for Air.
  12. Off she goes.
  13. Add more water.
  14. At 160F - 4.5 hrs in - wrapped in foil, added more coals plus cherry wood. Not sure if needed to bother with cherry since now wrapped in foil. Did not add extra juice or water before wrapping.
  15. Pulled at 185F, about 5.5hrs.
  16. Enjoy with fries and Dijon mustard.

Definitely need to let it soak more - I know some call for 24hrs, which might be too much. It was a little too salty, but fine with fries and mustard. Didn't get home until 1, so just did a two hour soak.

I was running it a little too low - around 275F - but believe recommended is closer to 300F.

Probably can skip Steps 1 - 5, personal preference.
Fwiw, the weird smell from packaged pork is a somewhat common occurrence. Leave it out of the package for about 15 or 20 minutes. If it still smells, throw it out. If no more smell, it is ok to proceed.

the weird smell from packaged pork is a somewhat common occurrence. Leave it out of the package for about 15 or 20 minutes.
Especially if it is wrapped in cryovac, it can develop an odd smell and sliminess. I like to rinse it and pat dry with paper towels. Fresh as a daisy after that.

Especially if it is wrapped in cryovac, it can develop an odd smell and sliminess. I like to rinse it and pat dry with paper towels. Fresh as a daisy after that.
Thanks. This was right from the meat counter and wrapped in butcher paper.

The smell stuck with me all the way until I got back with the corned beef; still on my hands after washing.

Back