• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

All-
I would like to know opinions about what smoke wood goes best with:
1. Brisket
2. Pork ribs
3. Sausage

I have smoked brisket with mesquite, but would like to try other combos.

Thanks!

Brisket: Oak, Pecan, Hickory
Ribs: Apple, Sugar Maple, Hickory
Pork Butt: Apple, Cherry, Sugar Maple, Hickory, Oak
Chicken: Apple, Cherry, Hickory (Just a little)

Brisket or ribs: Other than the 'Squite, I will use a lot of Sugar Maple, pecan, Hickory, or the Jack Daniels pellets.
I have only done sausage one time so far, and had Hickory in with the ribs, just tossed the sausage in with it. I have around 8 different woods/pellets around at any given time to use.

Thanks for the feedback.

I read the section on this website about smoke woods and noticed that oak is often mixed with several different types of wood. Has anyone tried that, if so do you recommend it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howie R.:
...oak is often mixed with several different types of wood. Has anyone tried that, if so do you recommend it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and yes: a bit of oak can add oomph to lighter fruit woods. Conversely, a little fruit wood can soften or lighten oak. Experiment to see what you like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">alder </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back