Smoke Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick B

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Needless to say the info on this site is excellent and helpful. My question is in regards to getting wood. I have read suggestions to find wood at golf courses, nurseries and so on and so forth. The problem is how do you tell what kind of wood it is? The few people i approached that have wood never know what type it is, and i am certainly no woodsmen to know myself? I am in the NYC area if it helps. Anyone know how to go about identifing the wood, or are there dominant wood types in this area and any will do?

Welcome Pat, Orchards are the best place to look. Plus the people there know what kind of wood it is.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I get my smoke wood from Barbeques Galore. They have a website at <www.bbqgalore.com> and you can order several types of wood online. I'm sure there are other sources online, as well. I'm also fairly new to smoking, and I wouldn't risk using mystery wood in your first smokes. I've found it takes quite a bit of experimenting to get the right amount of smoke when you know exactly what you're using.

Hi Pat and welcome aboard. I have the fortunate setting of woods living here in Kansas. Any wood I need except tropical wood I can get in the woods. A good source when I started out nearly 20 years ago was the grocery store. They carry the basic Mesquite and Hickory chips and chunks. Another good source in your area if one is close is ACE hardware. Have fun and starting out trust me less smoke is good until you acquire the taste you like. Also if you have problems finding wood let me know...I can get some your way.

Hickory and Mesquite chunks and chips are commonly found at your local grocery or hardware. I've found a variety of other wood chunks such as apple, cherry, oak, and sugar maple on ebay. I have looked everywhere in my neck of the woods for these special woods without any luck.

Ace Hardware on Transcontinental in Metairie. (504) 888-8588 to check availability. Oak, peach, maple, apple, cherry, pecan chunks in 1 or 2 lb. bags, $2.50 or $4.50 a bag.

Academy Sports on West Esplanade, Kenner: 40+# bags pecan $9.95.

Get thee to a library and pick up one of the many tree identification books so you can check out the leaves (er, fallen leaves this time of year) and bark.

You'll find oak and maple and hickory, probably, and maybe even cherry and apple.

Tree services often sell smoke wood. One around here even packages it up and sells it at the butcher shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back