smoke wood question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello everybody. Brand new to smoke cooking, in fact I should have my WSM tomorrow /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif After reading the secion on smoke wood, being a woodworker, I was wondering if I could use off-cuts from my woodworking as smoke wood. They are generally 1" thk by about 3-5" long. It would sure be a good way to get rid of these pieces as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mike

It's a good idea to make sure that the wood hasn't been chemically dried or treated.

Jim

Mike it works to a degree, making sure it has not been touched by any chemicals or finishes like the others have said but the moisture level in kiln dried wood is lower than you would idealy want. That said it does work and can be a source for wood.
Jim

You're very right, Jim
I have a friend who makes furniture as a hobby, and he has given me scraps of alder, cherry, and maple. All were kiln dried, and not treated/finished in any way. The moisture level and the "essential oils" that one can get from seasoned tree cuttings is lacking, so they are less desirable. But, used correctly, they can do the job and add some fine flavor. I tend to use a larger amount of these dried wood chunks than I would with unprocessed wood. I've had some GREAT results with these scraps.
Just my 2 cents.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back