Smoke Wood Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Pye

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone tried using pelletized smoke woods? My understaning from other web sites is that the sawdust from a specific wood is compressed into small pellets. They are then put into the smoker and supposedly burn slowly. They come in numerous types of wood choices and would seem convenient, albeit a bit expensive.

pellets are usually used in auger type smoker ie tragear ect. you could i guess use them in say a pie pan or some foil in the WSM. I would use chuncks

I haven't used chunks themselves so I can't really compare the two. The pellets last from 15-30 minutes depending on the fire. Compared to chips I'd say they burn a bit sweeter and it's harder to use too much (1/3 cup is recommedned). You could refill the pot a couple times for a long cook I imagine, I usually only apply smoke at the beginning. They store in self-seal bags and have no cleanup involved. Grab their gift pack assortment and give it a try; they toss in several sample packs also. It's an inexpensive way to try a large variety of smoke flavors.

i have only used the pellets you can get at safeway. they seem really sweet. the package says they are a blend of different woods. 5.00 for one pound bag. ouch. 2.79 gets you a 40# bag of stove pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back