Smoke wood effective duration

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So far I've only cooked a Boston butt, which I cooked for 11 hours. I used 4 good-sized dry chunks of hickory, and that seemed to work well for me.

Now I'm wondering, if I cook something a long time like that, and half way through I throw on something that cooks quicker, like a chicken or ribs, is the same smoke wood going to effectively add any flavor to the new meat? Or will the wood be used up by then?

As long wood is left in the cooker it will flavor anything you would add to the cooker. I would think if you are adding 4 chunks of hickory there will be enought left to do the job on chicken and ribs.
Jim

Yeah, that makes sense. I did notice that there was still some wood left at the end of the cook, and I think I remember the smoke still having a hickory smell.

So, have you ever had a situation where you noticed the wood was gone before the cook was over?

--Mick

P.S. You people are the best! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif One of these days I'll cook something I'm really proud of, and I'll have you all to thank for it. Maybe that will happen this weekend . . . .

Mickey
You really don't need wood until the end unless you like more of a smoke flavor, the first two to four hours is normally enough if there is wood
left at the end it's not a problem.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back