Smoke & Spice/Meatloaf

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A few questions. I got my copy of Smoke $ Spice the other day and in reading it I noticed that almost every recipe in the book calls for the food to be cooked at 200 - 225 degrees... Now I don't have a lot of experience with the WSM YET, but in the 6 or 7 times I have used it, I am lucky to keep the temp close to 225, let alone below it
I do understand that they do the majority
cooking on something different, but how concerned should I be about the 200 - 225 temperature range?
I also read the part about "to mop or not to mop".. What are the opinions out there about "mopping" with regards to the necessity, heat loss, dripping onto the lower grate, etc...
And last but not least, I LOVE meat loaf... I am going to do the "ain't Momma's Meat Loaf" tomorrow... Any experience out there with this recipe and any suggestions?
Thanks - as usual,
Gary

Gary, most people agree that one thing the Smoke & Spice cook book errs on is the times for those low cooking temps in the book. Most people either go longer or cook hotter. I'm not sure where you measue the temp, but I've had no problems with cooking at 250? to 260? at the dome. I think the meats come out a little moister than at the lower temps.

As far as mopping, I've tried it both ways and I would say don't mop. At the most, mop only every 2 hours or you will extend your cook times like you wont believe.

Good luck and have a good 4th.

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilbur (edited 06-30-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back