Smoke Pork Shoulder - Genesis Gas Grill?

NMace

Subject pretty well sums it up. My smoker isn't available and I am dying to smoke a pork shoulder. Can I do it with my genesis grill? Or will I have a problem keeping the temp low enough?

Also, I have a small firebox I can use for the wood, but is there any concern with the smoke damaging or otherwise hurting the grill? Dumb question maybe, but I love this grill.

First post!

Yes you can and no smoke will not hurt the grill (only your eyes) "smoke gets in your eyes" ;-)

I would say 50% of my cooks or more on my Genesis I use wood chips and never have had a problem. Same with my Performer I almost always throw on a chunk of wood, I just like the extra flavor. I have cooked butts a few times on my Genesis but never a full shoulder, I think the only difference would be how long it takes you cook a full shoulder compared to a butt. Everything else should be the same.
The way I do it is I remove the left cooking grate and on the left side I set a water pan and my wood chips. With the grate removed it’s much easier to add chips and or water as needed. Put the meat on the right side grate along with the thermometer probe. I only use the far left side burner, all others are off, with just the one burner I try and maintain between 225 and 250 using the probe thermometer on the grate. I ignore the hood thermometer. After 3 hours or so I turn the meat 180 degrees so the other side is facing the heat. When the meat probe hits 195, I pull it off and let it rest.
It’s no problem maintaining 225 with one burner and a water pan.
I say try it and let us know how it goes.

I've done a butt on my gas 1000 with just the back burner. My burners run e-w not n-s. I used a CI smoke box full of apple chips which I refilled twice and turned the butt about half way through. Came out okay but not as good as a coal smoker as far as the smokiness goes. The meat was very good though, worth the effort.

Back