Smoke levels in Beef v. Pork

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I generally use less smoke with poultry than I would with pork. However, not sure if I should adjust the smoke level for beef. Planning on doing a chuck roast this weekend... If I were you (be thankful you aren't) would you aim for about the same smoke level as you would for butts?

Except for meatloaf, I have no experience smoking anything beef, not even brisket. So... thoughts appreciated.

I, too, use less with poultry. For pork and beef--for me--it depends on thickness/size of the cut. I like a fair amount of smoke but use less on a thin cut (like ribs) and substantially more on a big cut (like butt). I find I use the same approach to beef--less with ribs, more with brisket/small chuck roasts, still more with a thick top or bottom round or chuck roast, chuck roll, and the like. So, yes, for me it's roughly the same smoke level.

Finally a nice day in Conn. after all the rain and cool weather, huh? I'm in Newtown at the moment.

Newtown, eh? I'm on 45 minutes away. Yes... hallelujah we finally have sun. Yesterday and the day before were downright frigid for May. Especially from this california kid.

Thanks for the info on the smoke. That was what I was thinking. I'm doing a chuck roast that is about 4 inches thick, so I'm going to use a fair amount of smoke... I figured it would be harder to overpower, since when it is pulled, the inside (mildly smokey) will moderate the outside (heavily smokey).

- Adam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">since when it is pulled, the inside (mildly smokey) will moderate the outside (heavily smokey). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Precisely. You get a bit more smoke inside less dense meat, like chuck, imo, over--say, bottom round, but nothing that it can't handle (though I like smoke). You'll have to see what you think and modify, if needed, from there.

Yep, a beautiful day. Lilacs going nuts all over. Just great.

ac --

What type of wood are you using? I can't image you could oversmoke a 4" (10 cm) chuck roast with pecan, apple, or even oak.

Mesquite/hickory ... now that's another thing.

Hi Jimbo -

hickory is all I've got. I ended up using 4 medium sized chunks on top, then buried 3 small chunks (which it never got to). did it minion method and only used about have of the charcoal. I'll post the full report in an hour or so when I pull and can test the results. from a quick taste, looks like the smoke level was about right.

Sounds like you got great eatin' for a couple of days. Definitely let us know how it went -- my BOB is not going so well.

Back