Smoke for the Day

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

So I've had my WSM for a week now and after last weeks fabulous cook I'm going towards brisket. Which I've made on my kettle but can't wait to taste it on the WSM.

It's raining, which isn't causing that much of an issue. Except my ET-73 food probe wasn't reading right as it said the brisket was done in 30 minutes. Anyhow, any ideas on how often I should check the meats temperature with the therm I have in it right now?

Also, any ideas on what could be the prob with the food probe?

Stick a thermometer into the meat about 6 or 7 hrs after it has been cooking. When it hits about 160 degrees internal temp, pull her off and wrap it tightly with foil. If you like you can put a little beer or apple juice, etc. in the packet with it.
Put it back on the smoker and stick the thermometer through the foil and into the meat again.

It will cook much faster now that it is wrapped in foil, although it will still probably plateau for a while around 170.

When she hits about 190 or 195, fork test it to make sure but it is probably ready to ccome off and go into a preheated cooler. (think hot knife sticking into butter) Make sure the foil is sealed around the meat and put it in a baking pan to catch drippings while the meat rests (you can add these to your sauce when you serve it).
Put it in the ccooler and it can rest for up to 6 hours. Just resisit the temptation to peek until you serve it.

Back