Smoke and Spice - some thoughts and a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnN

TVWBB Member
Borrowed a copy of Smoke and Spice from a friend, and I have to say - although there are a lot of interesting looking recipes, I'm a little disappointed.

Not to say it's not a great book - and the recipes might more than redeem it. But for starters - it seems that every single item in the book has the same exact cooking instructions (I was of the belief that hamburgers should be grilled - but if I read this, they should get an hour of smoke - isn't that much for ground beef?).

Second - minor point - seems that if you don't have a log pit, you don't count. This is just me nitpicking, but I'd like to see more than just a passing mention of vertical water smokers.

The recipes might be what makes this book really special. I'm more of a 'technique' kinda guy - which is why in cookbooks, I prefer the Julia Child/Alton Brown/Marcella Hazan/Joy of Cooking type to just straightforward recipes, because recipes are easier to get your hands around than good technique.

So help me out here - which are the best *must cook* recipes in S&S? I'm looking to do some chicken, and maybe some ribs this weekend, but I'll pick up a brisket if something outstanding is on the horizon...

I've owned Smoke and Spice for about 5-6 years, and done a few recipes in it. I've always used a vertical water smoker, ECB and now the WSM. I don't think their recipes are only for pit smokers. But even of they are, they are easily adapted.

Try "The Renowned Mr. Brown" (pork shoulder) or "Dallas Dandy Brisket"-- both are great

John....

You are absolutely correct about this book.....the cooking times are WAYYYY off. Since the book is about smoking, they are just pointing out another way to cook burgers. Not for me, but many like them done that way.

I own it and was disappointed when I started to read it. It IS great for recipes, but, these days, recipes are FREE...especially rubs and sauces.

I don't own any other BBQ books, but hung around the competitors at various cook-offs and learned that way.

Nowadays, this internet is pretty handy when you have people who are willing to share.

So, ask away...MUCH better than any book you could possibly buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back