Smithfield Baby backs, $2.98

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I stopped in winn dixie and they had their smithfield baby backs on sale for $2.98 per pound, so i picked up 5 cryovacs. I have decided both spares and baby backs are great, but I prefer the backs. Plus, by the time i get done trimming and throwing away all the waste (i don't try to find alternate uses for the trimmings), I am paying the same price for spares as the backs, so why not get the ones i like best, lol.

The package says previously frozen, b/c that's the way they are shipped. The "sell by" date is July 6th. Any idea how long they will safely last in the fridge? I figure if the sell by date is 7/6, they must be good for another week after that at my house. they wouldn't sell them on the expiration date and they go bad the next day.

The grocery store ribs (usually 1 rack per cryo pack) are very often enhanced with solution. Check the label carefully before you rub them, and if they are injected ("enhanced") at least cut down on your salt.

As for expiration, you are probably right. However, if I'm more than a week away from a cook I'd probably throw them in the freezer. Above all, enjoy them!

Back