Smash Burgers on the WSK

Alan Benoit

TVWBB Member
Decided to try some smash burgers today for the first time. The Lodge 12" cast-iron pan fits perfectly into the center insert of the WSK and I used the charcoal basket from my Akorn Jr. on the bottom grate. They turned out pretty good, although my wife says she prefers my low n slow burgers because of their smoky taste.IMG_20220531_180250.jpgIMG_20220531_182752.jpgIMG_20220531_182855.jpgIMG_20220531_183002.jpg

What do you guys run on smashies? 75/25 or 80/20? Or leaner? I’ve found too much fat causes the burger to sit in the grease and decreases the sear flavor. So I try to run a little leaner of 80/20 or close to that. Basically a chuck/sirloin blend.

Those look good! I love that 1836, just used it on steaks last weeekend. Their Campfire seasoning is very good too.

What do you guys run on smashies? 75/25 or 80/20? Or leaner? I’ve found too much fat causes the burger to sit in the grease and decreases the sear flavor. So I try to run a little leaner of 80/20 or close to that. Basically a chuck/sirloin blend.

I take my standard 80/20, leaves a nice bit of grease that the burger sits in for the minute and a half it cooks.
I usually weigh each of mine.....I usually get 2.2 oz on average, a pound of beef doesn't always come out to be an exact pound, I usually get 5 smash burger balls........I tend to make the MRS a double and I just eat the rest........
My method.............
Screaming hot cast, like your steak sear temps Brett........not much meat to cook.
Literally smash the snot out of it, thin as I can go, add salt, cook about 60 seconds max, flip, process cheese and remove.
It should be dripping in a mysterious clear liquid when you add it to your bun.
This is good.
Not trying to hijack the thread....just adding my opinions on how I like the cook to go.
A made a few threads on these burgers, pictures don't do it much justice.

Can't find the other thread for some reason..........probably because I didn't call it smash burger anything.

Next time I would definitely go with smaller burgers. These were about 1/3 pound each and I think 1/4 pound or smaller would have turned out better. Agree on the 1836 rub as it is my go-to for all beef (brisket, burgers, steak). The big black pepper flakes are hard to duplicate unless you have a grinder and the time to grind and they make an amazing bark. Plus their warehouse is a few minutes from where I work so I can pick it up easily whenever I run out.

80/20 over here as well.

80/20 for me - also I "presmashed" my patties on the last go around and really liked my results. Formed 4.5 oz balls, smashed between two sheets of parchment using a cast iron pan.... So I just had to smash the edges out a little bit on the griddle. I'll probably do 3 or 3.5 oz patties next time.

Back