Small wood chunks

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
I'm getting ready to fire up the WSM and realized that all I had left of my hickory wood was a bunch of matchbox sized chunks. Can I just intermingle these throughout the coals without having to worry about them just burning up and not providing the amount of smoke I need? I guess I could wrap a few pieces in foil as if they were chips. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

Rick,
Wet the pieces of wood and wrap them in foil with one small hole in the foil, as well as throwing small handfuls onto the coals every now and then depending on how much smoke you want.

I like a lot of smoke so I always just threw the small chips on the coals. Sometimes I wet them sometimes I didn't. They definitely burn up, the wet ones just take a little longer and cool down your coals.

I'd take those little "shavings" and use them for a light wood flavor the next time you grill something.
You can put them with your charcoal fuel source on your smoker, but they will burn fast and not produce much prolonged smoke.

Does anyone have any ideas about creating some sort of a "binding agent" to hold small chips together to form a bigger chunk? I have a some bags of little chips, that would more valuable if there was a way to hold them together. Maybe Elmers could make a special "smoking wood glue" that would hold up under high temps and provide a tasty smoke.

Mark

Back