Small rack mod

MartinB

TVWBB All-Star
After much procrastination, I finally did another small mod I've been thinking about for a while. I put some legs on my lower grate so that I could sit it on top of my top grate. The bottom line is I want to be able to access some foods easier, namely ribs and chicken thighs. The lower grate is too hot where it's mounted currently and it's too hard to get to. Anyway just by turning the nuts here I can adjust the height of the grate. But if cooking half racks of babyback ribs, which I did the other day, easy enough to lay three ribs out without crowding them . Nope that this isnt attached it just sits there

Even wrapped, being able to lay them flat is important to getting the stuff you put in the foil onto the top of the rib for a caramelized coating, and not having it run off .

And even cheaper way to do this is to drill some holes just underneath the The top rack and run some 1/8 "rods across the inside of the smoker and set the lower rack on that. Saw this in the mods file on the virtual Weber bullet. Thats actually an excellent idea and then just plug the holes with little bolts when you're not using it there of it bothers you

Attachments

• PXL_20220808_133619946.jpg
    PXL_20220808_133619946.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 49
Good suggestion. I like it! And it doesn't prevent you from using as normal for a couple of pork butts. :LOL:
Exactly, i can still put it in place down below if want to. I also been thinking about maybe lowering my top grate about an inch in conjunction with this. Basically there's things you need to be able to pick up with the tongs, and you really can't get the angle on that if it's too low, which is why I wanted to put the second rack higher. Not to mention I ain't going to reach down in to the hot smoker to pull out the bottom rack full of food either. More or less for me so far that bottom rack has been virtually useless. I have put wrapped ribs down there before and they came out quite overdone and fell apart when I unwrap them. Just too hot down there.

Easy enough to pick up this whole top rack and lift it off and set it on table to get to the rack underneath it

I love the WSM-18 for small group cooking. For a single pork butt or single brisket I've got no complaints. Ribs is my only sticking point. It's just kind of a hassle so far ... And I have hated using rib racks. Laying ribs out is the only way to do it, Even if that means cutting them in half. I have found that basting the ribs laying out flat is the only way I care to cook them. I've hung them, don't like the taste of drippings on the hot fire. Got a little bit of a burnt fat taste. And im always worried about them falling apart and falling.... I had a catch grate...but still its a risk

Last edited:
Agree that it is easier to flip, baste, wrap, etc. if you are working up at the top level of the cooker.

I made a grate with legs like yours. But now I just use a flipped over grate. Simple and pretty stable.

Also added a bracket for another grate between the top and bottom grates. So I can have three racks going, all pretty accessible, without using the bottom grate.

1659975568702.png

Agree that it is easier to flip, baste, wrap, etc. if you are working up at the top level of the cooker.

I made a grate with legs like yours. But now I just use a flipped over grate. Simple and pretty stable.

Also added a bracket for another grate between the top and bottom grates. So I can have three racks going, all pretty accessible, without using the bottom grate.

View attachment 56998
I don't particularly care for the flipped grate because you can't pick it up and set it off to the side somewhere to get to the one under it. Well you can but you need some kind of support to put it on. Now I do often set mine on top of a chimney so there's that, but I prefer to set it on the table. It's also kind of close together for some thick loin back ribs.

Yeah a third one mounted just a couple of inches under the top one would be handy as well. I

Back