Small hole in cook box what do I do?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I have no idea how this hole got here but it is suspiciously close to where I was using my impact gun then drilling...then grinding to finally get the manifold support bolt out on a Genesis 310. It was a real pain in the rear....I drilled out what was left of the bolt for a small victory. Anyway it doesnt matter how it got there.....but I noticed a small hole in the cook box near one of the bolt holes that hold the manifold on. Im not bailing on this grill so I only want good news :) I dont see what effect this little hole will have on the grill....I mean the burners go through large openings and arent even close to being sealed so hot air escapes there. I just want to put some JB there and call it a day. My other option is to drill it out and through bolt it. A round hole wont spread and the bolt will fill the hole .....problem solved right? Cmonnnnnn good news only! No its not a crack....its a oblong hole. Either myself or the previous owner must have caused it going ape sh++t Cave Man trying to get this bolt out. Must have been my grinder :(
So JB or bolt...whatcha like? Its a flipper.....

Honestly a bolt and then cut it off flush with a cutoff wheel is a good idea. I recommend stainless steel so there is no reaction between the box and the bolt which could enlarge the hole or cause the bolt to fall out

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies....I was cutting and grinding and cussin' .....so maybe it was me.....But I will fix er right up.

I have used JB Weld on two cook boxes so far. Both worked fine. One of the repaired cook boxes is my personal Genesis 1000.

Back