Small Chuck Roast Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought a 2.5 lb chuck roast to throw in the crock pot and shred for sandwiches and I realized I had never tried smoking one.

I searched through previous posting about chuck and must of them where about large 10+ lb chuck rolls.

Is this roast too small to smoke? I am now addicted to using the terra cotta smoker I made and can't maintain a temp much above 230 with it.

Would the roast dry out if I hit it at 220 until the internal temp was about 190? How long would this take at 210-220 degrees?

I've done a chuck blade roast on my weber kettle. It will take a long time to cook at that temp. I cooked mine for 7 hours and it was not dry. I think the structure of the meat is similiar to brisket or pork butt. There's enough fat in the mouscle to keep it moist.

Heres a link below to give you an idea on how to do it.

chuck roast

Thanks Dennis. I saw someone post about that link, but they didn't include the link.

I am marinating one right now in some bottled brisket marinade and garlic powder. I am going to do the other one without marinade and with just a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Both are around 2.5lbs and look almost exactly like the one pictured in the link.

I plan on smoking them at ~220 for about 6-8 hours. I am going to foil one and foil/saran wrap the other, both at about 3-4 hours.

Cool, sounds good! Let us know how it turns out. I have a few more chuck blade roasts in the freezer. We always get a ton of them when my inlaws butcher and we buy a 1\4 from them. So I'll most likely be throwing one on within the next couple of weeks now.

I just got my WSM on Monday. It's now Friday night and I still haven't realy decided what I'm going to cook on there tommorrow, if I even cook on it at all this weekend. Got know's I want to. But time and the fact that my wifes so picky, it's hard to pick what to cook.

I was thinking of ribs but I have'nt gotten any yet and would not be able to rub the day before. Although I still think they'd be alright if I only left rubbed for a few hours before I threw them on.

Dennis...

You are correct in that the rub does not need to be on overnight. I believe the longer the better, but I have rubbed them up just before cooking and they came of just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back