small brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Most of the brisket recipes I see here and elsewhere call for a 10-12 lb. brisket. I have a 5.5 lb. brisket in my freezer that I was going to roast a couple of weeks ago, and never got around to cooking. Now I would like to cook it this weekend in the WSM, but I am wondering what modifications to the standard recipes I should make, if any.

Will it take half the time of a larger one, or not necessarily?

5.5 lbs. is most likely only a flat. Keep a close eye on it as it cooks, as the 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound guideline may well not apply-- it may be done much sooner.

Andrew, I did some Flats last week that were all under 5 lbs. The first thing, I believe (after reading several posts on this subject) is make sure they are untrimmed. If they are First Cuts they have been trimmed and would do better in the oven. If they are untrimmed you're in business. I smoked mine for 6.5 hours until I was at 173 and out of the plateau. I then foiled and finished in the oven until they hit 195. Awesome, but next time I'm going to finish on the WSM, and build more bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back