small brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi Folks,
The local grocery has small uncorned flat briskets on Sale, 3.5 #'s with very little fat on them.
Are these worth smoking. I am a newbie and Im envisioning boot leather dinner. Any Tips?
Thanks in advance

PS: Im still working my way through the archived discussions so please pardon questions that have been answered before.

Don't worry about the questions ... most everything has come up here before.

3.5 lbs is pretty small and smaller flats are a challenge to keep from drying out. I still think they're worth it. I would foil at 165 and add a little moisture, like beef broth. Then take to 190 and leave in the foil in a dry cooler with towels for a couple of hours. Your total cook time may be 6 to 7 hours or a little less.

Paul

Hi,

Put a layer of good thick sliced apple smoked bacon on the grate before putting on the brisket, to protect the bottom side. Then do what Paul said.

Al

Hi Guys!

I have a question along the same lines. I have a 4# flat that I am doing tomorrow. Does the hour to hour and a quarter per pound cooking time still apply? I plan on doing a rack of back ribs at the same time. I was thinking of putting the brisket fat side down on the lower grate and the ribs on the upper grate. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Scott

Your time estimate is probably pretty close, but the true test of doneness of a brisket is by touch and feel. When you can insert a temp probe and it goes in easily and/or a meat fork turns with a little but not too much resistance, you're there. It will be less convenient to do those things with the brisket of the bottom, but either way it will be somewhat inconvenient.

Good luck on your cook.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

I put the ribs on the bottom and the brisket on top. The ribs were awesome and the brisket was slightly above average. The flavor of the brisket was good, but it was a little tough. I think my temp may have been a little high. A little too long around 260 I think. The ribs were as close to perfect as I get. They were just short of falling off the bone tender and had great flavor.

Next weekend it's either a KC strip loin roast or a whole pork loin.

Scott

Back