Small Brisket - Foil or no Foil?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The best brisket a could find yesterday was a 6.5 lb. with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch fat cap, which I placed on the bottom rack. On the top I placed a 4.5 lb. Pork Butt to bast the brisket. BTW this is my first brisket. Should I foil the brisket or not? If so when?

If you are going t foil wait until the internal temps is 170? and add a small amount of apple juice to the package before closing up tight.
You need to keep an eye on the brisket cause it wil move up in temp much faster in foil. Pull off the cooker at 185 to 190? wrap in another layer of foil and place in a dry cooler for at least 1 hour.
Jim

IF you do foil, then do as Jim says, but I've never foiled a brisket while cooking yet, and that's been some twenty-odd years' worth of briskets. That's not to say that I haven't had a few that might have BENEFITED from foiling.

I did my first WSM brisket with a butt on the top rack and was hooked on the automatic pork-basting system.

Personally, it's my experience that foiling your brisket is not necessary until it reaches final temp and you take it off the smoker. THEN a nice tight foil wrap and cooler rest is called for.

Just my own experience...

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back